Form Data entry with wired error (1 Viewer)

Tupacmoche

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:30
Hi Form Masters,

I'm getting very strange results with an Access form that has an SQL database back end. When data is entered into it records are displayed strangely. What, I mean by strangely is that the primary key is repeated in two row showing the same data twice. Another strange thing is that when, I query the sql table in management studio the rows are displayed correctly. Has anyone seen this behavior before and what causes it? :eek:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:30
Is the form based on a query that might be duplicating records because of a join?

Tupacmoche

Registered User.
Local time
I thought of that it seems to be a display issue. The reason for saying that is that the records show correctly in management studio so the data does not seem to actually be corrupt. Additionally, the form has a filter showing complete and incomplete rows. When, I select incomplete the two rows are displayed correctly but when, I select the 'All' selection in a combo box they also display correctly until I use the navigation keys and move to the last row and back then the rows repeat on the screen.

If, I open the table in Access, I see the row twice with the PK repeating. This is really weird. :eek:

Tupacmoche

Registered User.
Local time
Posting solution to this issue in case anyone else has a similar experience.
The tables in this project are back end sql server R2. When, I linked the table in Access, I mistakenly selected the wrong column as the PK. In the scenario that, I described, I was adding records manually that did not have a FK in the record and it was not required. But, since it was the FK that, I mistakenly used as the PK and there were duplicates (for manual entry zero (0) was used by default) Access could not determine what was what and failed.

How this helps someone.:eek:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:30
Thanks for the update. I was definitely stumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom