Form locked at startup in order to hide queries and tables (1 Viewer)

r621

Local time
Today, 17:55
Hello To everybody, I need your help:
On access startup is it possible to show only a form and lock it with password so as not to show queries and tables? I'm only interested in the user using the form without knowing what's underneath.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:55
It's somewhat possible but not entirely foolproof. You could try to search for @isladogs' demo on controlling the Access Interface.

r621

Local time
sorry I didn't get the point...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:55
There are a lot of moving parts to controlling the interface for a project. How far you need to go is dependent on your user base. Are you trying to protect the app from accidents? That's pretty easy. Are you trying to protect the app from malicious damage? That is harder. Are you selling the app and want to protect your intellectual property? That is pretty nere impossible. If you are worried about data security, you should consider using SQL Server or some other RDBMS which provides strong support for this.

So, let's start with - how far do you need to go? You really don't want to spend a lot of time trying to apply security to things that don't need to be secured.

Since malicious damage is a fireable offence and probably criminal also, that is probably the least of your problems for internal applications. The most important thing to secure is the data. A large part of that is validating data to ensure that the user is prevented wherever possible from entering data that is invalid. For example, if you are entering the date of birth for an employee, it makes no sense for the date to be > today. It also makes no sense for the employee to be < 16 years old for most jobs in the US. Some jobs such as being a bartender require the employee to be >= the legal drinking age in your state. Therefore, it is just plain sloppy on your part to not bother to at least apply sanity checks to dates - all dates. 4/30/202 is a valid date as far as Access is concerned but it is also almost certainly a typo.

Take a look at the article written by @isladogs regarding locking the FE. I've also included a link to a very simple switchboard and security. The Security can be used to control the options each user sees.

Make sure to go to the end so you get the latest version.

r621

Local time
thanks Pat , basically I want hide to my colleagues all queries and show them only a form where perform actions

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:55
Technically, using a switchboard does that. However, it doesn't prevent the user from poking around. @isladogs article talks about a couple of things you can do that make it hard but not impossible to even open up the navigation pane which is what you also want to do. However, make sure you have at least two backups with one of them zipped BEFORE you attempt to lock down the database. It is very easy to lock yourself out if you don't quite understand the directions or implement them incorrectly.

Since locking done the FE always annoys me, I rarely do it. I'm not saying you shouldn't. It really depends on your users and how pesky they can be with their poking around. One very simple method, which won't lock you out as long as you know the trick, is to C&R and zip the FE after you have finished your FE updates and then rename the .accdb to .accdr. This is a trick and if the user knows the trick, he can get around it but most users don't know tricks like this so they solve the problem without having to annoy you too:) The .accdr extension tells Access to "pretend" to be the Runtime engine. The Runtime engine will not allow access to the navigation pane or any backstage area and it also hides most right click menus and all but limited ribbons. So, doing this will show you what the app would look like if your user's actually were to use the Runtime engine to run the app. You will know if you need to create custom menus or form options for printing, etc.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:55
Links to two of my articles which I believe were those being referenced above:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom