Form Scrolling (1 Viewer)

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:39
Hello, I have an appointment scheduling screen for physical therapists with a main form and 5 subforms in the main form's detail section. Each subform supports a single therapist, selected from a dropdown list.
Each subform has the appointment times (8am to 5pm, in 15 minutes increments), a patient text box and a vertical scroll bar. Appointments are made by right-clicking the patient text box to open a toolbar that provides a form to select a patient and duration of the appointment.

The person who does the scheduling would like to have a way to scroll up and down all five subforms at the same time to see where there are open times to make a new appointment.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Thanks,
Bill

Wayne

Crazy Canuck
Local time
Today, 01:39
Are the subforms are all continuous forms?

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Wayne, yes they are continuous forms.
Bill

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 06:39
To get that overview I would suggest you use a cross tab query, where the doctors are listed horizontally and time vertically.

Attachments

• Free.jpg
    Free.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 210

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:39
how are the 5 subforms organized?
are they by Appointment Date?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:39

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 22:39
Three questions from a user interface perspective;
1) What happens if you add therapists?
2) Is your end user looking for when therapists are working or are they really looking for available times?
3) Have you considered rotating your "View" so that time runs horizontally and therapists vertically?

I can see setting up a continuous form that has captions for each 15 minute block that are colour coded for when a therapist is busy. Scrolling through could quickly allow your scheduler to spot when the next open period is.

Wayne

Crazy Canuck
Local time
Today, 01:39
i am playing with Sonic8's sample to try and make it work, and if I can get it to work (i use Access 2016 - his sample is for 2007), I will post it back later today. Mark's suggestion with conditional formatting of the back color for a null appointment field is good, and you could use this code so the subforms will go to the first null appointment field when they open.

Code:
Dim rs As Object

DoCmd.OpenForm "YourFormName"

Set rs = Forms!YourFormName.RecordsetClone
    rs.FindFirst "[AppointmentTime] = ''"
    Forms!YourFormName.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

If rs.NoMatch Then
    rs.FindFirst "[AppointmentTime] = Now()"
    Forms!YourFormName.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
    End If

Set rs = Nothing

This will open the subforms to the first available appointment for today, but if that doctor's schedule is full for the day, it should just open it to the current time slot. With conditional formatting for the null fields to change the back color, it would be easy for the end user to see what's available.

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all your replies.
The app is used by small clinics (2 - 4) therapists, so there really isn't a need for more than 5.
The scheduled times are color-coded so it is easy for the scheduler to spot open times.
Each appointment time has the option for 2 sessions. Which allows a therapist to work with 2 patients during the same appointment time.
With 15 minute appointment times and a schedule of 8am to 5pm there are 72 time slots. That means about 4 vertical screens to view all the appointments.

Thanks for your help.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom