Format vs. Input Mask (1 Viewer)

H

helgansven

I'm really new to Access and just starting to learn. I'm not understanding the difference between an Input Mask and a Format for any given field.

jjturner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:56
I reckon this won't be the greatest explanation, but I differentiate between Format and Input Mask as so:

Input Mask forces the user or whoever is entering data to input according to your Input Mask definition.

Formatting takes the data that has been input and 'Formats' according to how you want the data displayed.

Example: date = January 1, 2003

No matter how the user enters this date, as long as it's recognizable by Access as a date, then your Format will display whatever you've defined (e.g. "dd-mmm-yyyy") once the user has updated that field.

With an Input Mask, the user will be restricted to input their date in the "dd-mmm-yyyy" 'format' (if that is how you've setup the input mask).

Beware of setting Input Masks or Formats in your form if you've already done so in the table(s) it is based on (confused myself a few times doing that).

HTH,
John

H

helgansven

Actually that made a lot of sense. Very good explanation.

On your last line though, you mention to be careful of input masks and formats in a form when they have already been defined in the table the form refers to. Does this mean the formats and input masks will pass automatically from the table to the form, hence not additional formatting required for the fields??

Thanks for your help.

jjturner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:56
I had to just test this out again to remember -

No, Formats and Input Masks defined in your tables don't carry over into your form.

However, if your Input Mask on the table is saving literal characters, but you forget to do the same with your form's Input Mask, that's where you could run into some strange display behavior and also corrupt the integrity of your data.

May my bad memories be a good reminder for you! ;)

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom