Form's controls 'invisible' (1 Viewer)

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:34
I have few forms that look fine when in Design view, but which appear as plain grey screens when opened in Form view. These were working perfectly (i.e. visible in both views) until about half an hour ago.

The only things I have changed are some of the calculations behind certain fields.

Any thoughts?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:34
the detail section of a form will be blank if there are no records to display, and you open the form with adds disabled.

the header and footer will still be visible

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I've gone back and checked it against a working version and the properties are identical.

I'm starting to think it may be related to a data change of some sort, but I can't see how.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
gemma-the-husky said:
the detail section of a form will be blank if there are no records to display, and you open the form with adds disabled.

the header and footer will still be visible

Sorry, the last response was to JeremyPaule, I missed your post.

What do you mean by 'adds disabled'?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
some of the form properties are

allow edits
allow deletes
allow adds

if allow adds is false and there are no records, there is nothing to display, so you get a blank form - no controls, current record is undefined (not even null)
which sounds like your problem.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks.

The problem actaully turned out to be that a user had deleted all records from one of the tables that made up the source query for the form. If it hadn't been for you pointing me in the right direction, I'd have assumed it was some change I'd made and been on it for ages.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i've been frustrated like that before for ages - once you've seen it once, you know what it is. Its infuriating because you try to put code in the oncurrent event, and there isnt one, because there's no records.

It can also give you runtime errors if you try to refer to controls in the details section.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
I'll look out for that.
Can't believe it hasn't come up before, though.

Not for the first time, I'm very grateful for the forum.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom