Free Access Repair Tool (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:12
Has anyone here used the Access Repair tool from DataNumen?
https://www.datanumen.com/access-repair/

Its free for personal use and at first sight seems legitimate...but I'm suspicious.
As far as I can see its just imports tables and queries into a new database…. including converting deep hidden system tables related to complex data such as MVFs, memo field column history and attachment fields to standard tables.
Those tables do need to be imported but should be imported in their original format as deep hidden system tables

In addition, other deep hidden system tables are not transferred or re-created and the file size is significantly reduced to about 60% of the original (much more than compacting does) e.g. reducing a basic ACCDB file from 4840kb to 236kb which is somewhat suspicious.

Forms, reports, macros and modules are not copied across

I don't have any corrupt databases to really test it on so don't know if it really recovers anything more than would happen by importing tables/queries into a new database manually.

I certainly don't want to recommend it to anyone without some positive evidence of its value

EDIT I've now emailed the company making the same points as above.
I'll be interested to hear their response

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:12
Sorry, no idea. Never heard of it.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:12
Has anyone here used the Access Repair tool from DataNumen?
No, but the company incurred my displeasure by producing a number of rather generic blog posts about basic Access topics and posting them all to several LinkedIn groups on Access.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have spent some time checking out this utility

I deliberately corrupted a few databases for testing purposes
Following those tests, I can say that the product does successfully recover many tables (and optionally queries) from corrupted ACCDB or MDB databases where importing into a new database fails.
It appears to do this by creating a new MDB file (even if ACCDB file type is selected) and importing all recoverable objects into the new file.

It could therefore be a useful tool as part of a data recovery strategy.
It does not recover forms, reports, macros or module code

I tried various test databases:
• MDB file – all tables recovered successfully. I didn’t test files with replication or workgroup security
• Password protected MDB file. This was recovered successfully but without the password. So it acts like many of the other MDB password hacker tools
• Standard ACCDB file with no complex tables – recovered successfully
However, the file size is always at least 40% smaller than the original because none of the ACCDB specific system files are created in the fixed file
• ACCDB file encrypted with a password. This was 'recovered' with no password (worrying) but the tables weren’t recovered. In fact the ‘fixed’ db was only 64kb. In fact the log reports it as a failed recovery. Their website quotes ‘Support to recover password encrypted Access databases.’
My tests indicate that isn’t the case for ACCDB files
Probably a good thing as it means it seems that it can’t be used to bypass password protection
• ACCDB file with complex tables used for attachments, MVFs or memo field column history. In each case, the complex table was recovered but empty (even if uncorrupted). However, the linked deep hidden system table starting with f_..... was recovered but as a standard local table (visible). This is a serious weakness in my opinion
• ACCDB with some user created deep hidden tables. Those tables weren’t recovered (which could be considered a good thing to limit its use for hackers)
• ACCDB specific system tables are not recovered/re-created. However. re-saving to a new ACCDB file solves this issue
• Database with linked tables – the linked tables aren’t recovered (unsurprisingly)
• ACCDE file – recovered successfully though it objects to ACCDE suffix in fixed file

Following these tests, I do have some serious reservations which are not covered in the website info:
• The output file is MDB structure even if it is saved as an ACCDB file
• Complex ACCDB tables are not supported and associated deep hidden tables are exposed to view

In addition, if run on a dual monitor, the applications forms are split across the two monitors.
Whilst each can be moved, the forms do not remember the new position
UPDATE 11 Dec - this has now been fixed following my comments!

I have been in an email exchange with the company about my findings.
Whilst accepting many of the above points, I felt they were unwilling to address them in order to make the product better/more useful.
From a commercial point of view that may be understandable, but I think it was counter productive for potential future sales.

This is one of their replies:

Hi, Colin
Thank you for your comprehensive tests and researchs on our product.
Currently our product only recovers the data that are most important to most of the customers. As most of the customers will not use MVFs, attachment fields & memo field column history, we do not support to recover these data, as it will take a lot of time to design and implement the algorithms to recover these data.
The same thing occurs on other features. If we find a lot of customer requests to recover a specific object, then we will implement it. Otherwise, we think it is unimportant and will not recover it.
In our data recovery industry, a data recovery tool shows its value when it can recover the most important data, instead of all data, for the customers. A tool that can support to recover all data is ideal. However, the time invested on supporting 90% type of data are only meanful to 10% or less customers, so we will not invest time on these 90% type of data. Therefore, as long as our customers feel that the data recovered by our product worths the money he pay, then he will pay.
Also the value of our product comes out when you compare other tools with it. When you cannot recover anything with other tools, then you can understand the value of our product. Most of our customers purchases our product AFTER they have tried all other similar tools in the world.
As dual monitor, we have tested in such cases but cannot find the problem you mentioned. Can you send a screenshot of the error so that we can check what is the problem?
Please feel free to contact us for any questions or problems in data recovery.
If you like us, please recommend our product to others.
Best regards,
Alan Chen
DataNumen, Inc. - World leader in data recovery technologies
Address: 26/F., Beautiful Group Tower
Suite 791, 77 Connaught Road, Central, HONG KONG

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:12
Someone beat me to it, though. I have no claim on having suspended the account.

Then again, my schedule has been a bit crazy in the last couple of days due to a bee infestation. I'd say it was a pain in the toches, but I keep that well covered.

(No, not kidding... really DID have bees in the house.)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
UPDATE 20 Apr 2022
I've been meaning to update this thread for some time

In my considered opinion, none of the commercially available Access data recovery software, including Data Numen and Stellar, are worth purchasing. Often, (e.g. Stellar) they come with fake endorsements from supposed Access MVPs.

In general, such software is using code freely available elsewhere and just wrapping that in a 'pretty interface'. For example, deleted tables and queries can be undeleted using code by Wayne Phillips at
https://www.everythingaccess.com/tutorials.asp?ID=Undelete-Tables-and-Queries-in-Access

or using similar code posted by Danny Lesandrini at

In other words, you can do exactly the same recovery actions yourself.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I agree Colin, but only if you have the skills?
A lot of people cannot even Google the syntax for functions/commands, so to them, it would be useful, if somewhat costly. :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
True ... but I dislike both the way they charge for using freely available code and for pushing their products by using spam posts and false claims in Web articles.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:12
I really enjoyed reading Danny Lesandrini's articles, shame he did so on some obscure website that treated Access like the red-headed step child of databases. I once asked him via LinkedIn if he ever planned on getting back in the game, but he never answered.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
he did so on some obscure website that treated Access like the red-headed step child of databases

... but NG, ... it IS the red-headed stepchild according to most every other DB maker.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Think of the ending of the movie Revenge of the Nerds and rejoice! Sometimes the losers can be winners.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This thread is now locked as it was based on what appeared to be a post that offered unauthorized advertising for a product not approved by Jon. And Colin asked for it to be opened for his reply post, but then closed again. So.... thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom