Front end corrupting back end..? (1 Viewer)

April15Hater

Accountant
Local time
Today, 05:44
That's definitely good to know. Unfortunately, it's going to be a tough sell to convince my boss that all of our Access woes are due to Windows 2000; especially after it's been fine for a year and a half. I've been pushing for xp forever now, but no luck.

I'd hate to say it on an access forum, but the more I use Access, the more I dislike it. Between not being compatible with a variety of components, it's limitations because of Jet, security issues, etc. it just seems like it's more of a hassle than it's worth. I started using the express versions of SQL and Visual basic 2008 last week and it's wonderful. Granted there's a bit of a learning curve, I wish I had started this whole project of that platform.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 04:44
You can use Win2k. I used it for years with Access 97 and 2000. There are just time that you have to reinstall the OS. Not just because of Access. I had to do it on machine that did not even have Access installed.

NOTE: Running software design for Windows XP on Windows 2000, you should expect some issues. Access 2003 may say it will run on Win2k, but it really needs Windows XP.

I'd hate to say it on an access forum, but the more I use Access, the more I dislike it. Between not being compatible with a variety of components, ...
Is that running on Windows XP Pro or Win2k?

IMHO, as long as you stay on Windows 2k, you are only asking for trouble.
If you are not running Windows XP Pro or later, I feel that you are not giving Access even a fair chance for success, but only crippling it. So I would expect issues.

Outdated OS + New Software = issues.

or

2000 OS + WinXP Software = more support issues

... t's limitations because of Jet, security issues, ..
That is really by your choice. You do not have to use JET. It is just the default database used for back ends.

Why not use an SQL server back end? You can use mySQL or MS SS.

... Granted there's a bit of a learning curve ...
That is true with any development platform, including Access.

I do believe the reason Visual basic 2008 seams wonderful is because you have already learned a lot from using Access. The reverse is probably also true. They each have their strengths and weakness.

Last edited:

April15Hater

Accountant
Local time
Today, 05:44
You can use Win2k. I used it for years with Access 97 and 2000. There are just time that you have to reinstall the OS. Not just because of Access. I had to do it on machine that did not even have Access installed.

NOTE: Running software design for Windows XP on Windows 2000, you should expect some issues. Access 2003 may say it will run on Win2k, but it really needs Windows XP.

Is that running on Windows XP Pro or Win2k?

IMHO, as long as you stay on Windows 2k, you are only asking for trouble.
If you are not running Windows XP Pro or later, I feel that you are not giving Access even a fair chance for success, but only crippling it. So I would expect issues.

Outdated OS + New Software = issues.

or

2000 OS + WinXP Software = more support issues

That is really by your choice. You do not have to use JET. It is just the default database used for back ends.

Why not use an SQL server back end? You can use mySQL or MS SS.

That is true with any development platform, including Access.

I do believe the reason Visual basic 2008 seams wonderful is because you have already learned a lot from using Access. The reverse is probably also true. They each have their strengths and weakness.

Fair enough, withoput having a complete windows xp network, it is hard to say, however I can't tell you how many times I've tried to opena form only to get the infamous "There is insufficient Memory to perform this operation" error. Take that days work and just throw it out the window.

Windows XP may be the answer to all of the woes I've been having, but if I'm going to use SQL server as my back end, I may as well use all the features of visual studio that access just doesn't have. I can't begin to tell youhow much time I spend trying to get access to line up forms, etc. where VS just does it for you. The intellisense too is just unbelievable. And oh the delight when I type With xyz how it automatically places the End With.

That being said, being I won't have crystal reports to utilize in the express edition, access looks like it is going to be my reporting application. I think Access was a great stepping stone, to get familiar with SQL. I really can't say the same about vba because I've been coding that in excel for years, but I could see it having it's place in access as well for learning purposes.

I still have yet to figure out why my db keeps corrupting, but I just did a massive overhaul where I recreated the mdw security file, migrated all of the objects in my front and back end to new files, and basically rebuilt it from the ground up. I even put it on a different server. We'll see how it goes. So far no corruption, but with windows 2000 still running on all of the workstations, it's inevitable that it will rear it's ugly head again. I really appreciate all of your input and never again will I play with access in a win2k environment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom