Geocaching (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 11:51
I still don't know what it is - other than it looks like one of the dangers of the internet that we get warned about?

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Have a co-worker and a brother who love it...which persuaded me to do a few caches... It does get you out of the house...yet it's not something that has held my attention...

Call_Me_Sam

Chief Imperial Navigator
Local time
Today, 19:51

this would definitely get me out of the house...will have to look into it more..but i'm the sort who has refused to buy a TomTom car nav because they have a bad rep for driving you into ditches...

and gps devices?? they're good for within a 100 metres or so i read a little while ago, so finding a cache ain't that easy..

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 14:51
Co-worker here was telling me about it. I looked and there are a bunch within 10 miles of the house... I have a GPS so I may give it a whirl. I thought mine was accurate to about 10-20 ft - ?

Call_Me_Sam

Chief Imperial Navigator
Local time
Co-worker here was telling me about it. I looked and there are a bunch within 10 miles of the house... I have a GPS so I may give it a whirl. I thought mine was accurate to about 10-20 ft - ?

it was an article i read so time ago..it was saying how the US Military didn't want Joe Public to have accurate gps while they got it within a few 'mm'...no doubt technology has improved....likei say..i spend too much time in the house, only getting out to walk the dog, well run the dog..like a little pocket rocket!! but this sounds fun...

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Hahahaha - all of us geeks can find a packet of Smarties in the Amazon with a GPS and the Coalition Forces cant find Bin Laden and company in the desert with all their advanced gadgets...

Call_Me_Sam

Chief Imperial Navigator
Local time
Hahahaha - all of us geeks can find a packet of Smarties in the Amazon with a GPS and the Coalition Forces cant find Bin Laden and company in the desert with all their advanced gadgets...

but smarties exist in the real world...not in the UNintelligence Agencies minds..

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
this is so lame i might become a cache terrorist and take a sh*t on all those caches for a nice surprise wen u get their...

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it was an article i read so time ago..it was saying how the US Military didn't want Joe Public to have accurate gps while they got it within a few 'mm'...no doubt technology has improved

I think that was very early on. I've got a golf specific GPS unit that is accurate to a yard or two (meter for the ROW).

Luddite Lad

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:51
this is so lame i might become a cache terrorist and take a sh*t on all those caches for a nice surprise wen u get their...

That seems to be a fairly mean spirited attitude you have there.

Call_Me_Sam

Chief Imperial Navigator
Local time
I think that was very early on. I've got a golf specific GPS unit that is accurate to a yard or two (meter for the ROW).

i thinki was quoting when the US Military tried to govern the accuracy of the receiver...and the fact joe public was able to find things better than they could..

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Thats rather more accurate than my pitching when I am playing golf:D

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I hadn't heard of this till reading this thread.

Lured to a remote spot by stangers on the web - I can see people finding there way to serious trouble!

Or am I misunderstanding what it is?

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 14:51
I was wondering the samething. Just a matter of time before a serial killer gets mixed up in this and makes the headlines... :(

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Its not a hobby for the kids either is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom