Get off my property (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
A lot of the police encounters on YT also show what happens when you don't comply with the lawful orders of an officer. Take a look at some of the police chase videos.

The civil rights violations are unfortunate excessive events that should not have happened. But when a person flees from the arresting officer, there is an old saying: Where there is smoke, there is fire. Its police corollary is Where there is a fleeing suspect, there was usually a bad reason to flee.

Grumm, you probably have a lower incidence of police brutality where you are because you probably also have a lower rate of violently resisting arrest. The two go hand in hand.

We do, indeed, stand tall behind our amendments. There are people who look for loopholes in everything, though.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 13:15
Is California a state outside of US?
Or is it an independent country inside US?

It seems everything is different in California.

I just watched an Instagram clip filmed by a Californian citizen. A guy was stealing a bicycle. The Police was standing there and only watching the guy. The owner was asking the policeman to do something, but he didn't.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 00:15
Is California a state outside of US?
Or is it an independent country inside US?

I seems everything is different in California.

I just watched an Instagram clip filmed by a Californian citizen. A guy was stealing a bicycle. The Police was standing there and only watching the guy. The owner was asking the policeman to do something, but he didn't.
Here we go...Doc. this is one for you!

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:15
A lot of the police encounters on YT also show what happens when you don't comply with the lawful orders of an officer. Take a look at some of the police chase videos.

The civil rights violations are unfortunate excessive events that should not have happened. But when a person flees from the arresting officer, there is an old saying: Where there is smoke, there is fire. Its police corollary is Where there is a fleeing suspect, there was usually a bad reason to flee.

Grumm, you probably have a lower incidence of police brutality where you are because you probably also have a lower rate of violently resisting arrest. The two go hand in hand.

We do, indeed, stand tall behind our amendments. There are people who look for loopholes in everything, though.
I didn't had any police problems no. But when they pull you over, it is always for a reason (because why would they pull you over ?)
Most of the times it is to check of you have a driver's licence, insurance still valid and all that stuff.

If I start yelling that they cannot see those documents, Chances are that I will end up in the back of a police car.
(also, if you don't have something to hide, why having all that trouble)

And don't get me wrong about the amendments. I understand that it is some pride and rights for the people there. Nothing wrong with that.

Never been in the USA, but I hope one day I can make a trip there to see all the glory of some states. (but not California I guess :eek:)

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Also, @KitaYama , not to be pedantic but you seem like someone who likes details and wants to learn, so the correct way to say what you are trying to say is "Get off of my property" or more colloquially: "Get off my property!"

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:15
(but not California I guess :eek:)

Being a native Californian I can only hope that trend continues, haha. Just kidding I'd buy you beer before showing you places like the high desert, mountains and the ocean and would be just the first few hours.

Keep an open mind things are not as bad as they might seem. Remember clicks and likes are the goal on the interweb.

My brother-in-law taught me "believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see", and you will be okay.

KitaYama

Local time
Also, @KitaYama , not to be pedantic but you seem like someone who likes details and wants to learn, so the correct way to say what you are trying to say is "Get off of my property" or more colloquially: "Get off my property!"
Million thanks for the correction.
Will be waiting for more in future.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:15
(but not California I guess :eek:)

Being a native Californian I can only hope that trend continues, haha. Just kidding I'd buy you beer before showing you places like the high desert, mountains and the ocean and would be just the first few hours.

Keep an open mind things are not as bad as they might seem. Remember clicks and likes are the goal on the interweb.

My brother-in-law taught me "believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see", and you will be okay.
Hehe, don't worry. I always keep an open mind about other cultures and countries.
Even Virginia looks nice to visit :p

Always fascinating to meet new people.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Virginia looks nice to visit
C'mon over, I'll take you to some Civil War attractions if you really want to get into some controversial issue. I could even break a traffic law or two if you want to experience a police-stop in person!

KitaYama

Local time
things are not as bad as they might seem.
If you're referring to my post about California police, I didn't mean bad. I meant different with the rest.
what I saw was more like our police.
I don't want to go into details because we'll be ending to comparing two different society. I just wanted to say I wasn't criticizing what I saw in the clip.

KitaYama

Local time
no offense intended. :)
None taken. I was just clarifying my intent. You may not know, but for us who have learnt English in school and only school, there's a good chance of being misunderstood. Because we use the words without knowing the deep meaning behind them.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've never had a problem with a police officer who stopped me. The point is to be polite and respectful and that attitude comes right back at ya'. In fact, one actually changed a tire for me a few years ago. The sun was in my eyes and I ran over a curb in a parking lot and he saw it happen. He certainly didn't need to change the tire. That went far and above his "duty". The silly thing was, I had to show him how to use the jack because he'd never changed a tire before:) I sent cookies to the station to thank him.

I've had two trips in an ambulance and my granddaughter had one. The first two were free and the third cost $1200 for less than a mile. The first two were in my town and I think the service is or was (the trips were 15-20 years ago) free. The most recent trip was in a neighboring tow.

My first trip took me to the emergency room with a gash on my forehead that was bleeding profusely. When I got to the emergency room they were going to take me to the trauma center but once they talked to me they decided that there didn't seem to warrant that so they then asked me if I had insurance and I said yes. They didn't ask for proof. Because I had insurance, they called in a plastic surgeon. Otherwise, the on duty doctor would have put in the sutures to close the wound. I don't know whether they would have taken MRI's or not. The result is I have no visible scar across my forehead. But the plastic surgeon billed my insurance company $8,000. The insurance company actually paid $800. This is the scam they're talking about in another thread. The total "billed" cost for this hospital outing was $33,000 (15 years ago). My insurance company paid a total of ~ $4,000. When I saw the detailed bill from the hospital, I was so incensed that I called the hospital's billing department to complain. They charged $10,000 for 2 MRI's (head and neck) and another $3000 for some doctor in the far east to read them. I told them that I didn't want to buy the MRI, I wanted to rent it. Last year I had an MRI at a local "imaging" facility. They charged $400 plus another $250 for the doctor to read it. Still expensive but much more rational. It was this overcharging technique that convinced Congressmen who never bothered to research the problem to approve the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) in 2014. If I hadn't had insurance, I would have been on the hook for $33,000. The hospital would have negotiated that down to what they thought I could pay and written off the rest. In my case, I probably would have had to pay the whole amount. So it looks on paper like they're loosing a lot of money servicing the uninsured when in fact, they are not. Since most people have insurance, the actual payment is closer to 30% of what was billed. At the time of this accident, my husband and I were without coverage and due to his medical condition it was going to cost us $35,000 per year in premiums so we rolled the dice and signed up for our state's Medicaid plan. We paid the top rate which was ~ $7,000 per year but the coverage was capped at $75,000 annually so we were a heart attack away from bankruptcy. The reason the insurance paid only $4,000 was that Medicaid has the lowest reimbursement rate of an insurance company, even lower than Medicare. We even had to change doctors on the plan because our current doctor didn't take Medicaid.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Occasionally I've had incounters with police whose necks are larger than my waist. Their uniforms look as though it were painted on. These are the ones you need to stay calm around, they have a tendency to overreact too the little things.

It might be a So Cal thing, I don't know.

Umpire

Local time
Is there any state that allows it?
In Nevada we have a so called "Make My Day" law. In essence it says that any person on your property uninvited, is presumed to be there to harm you. To my knowledge, this law has NOT been tested in court.

You have to take many things into account. is the intruder of sufficient size to be threatening to the homeowner? Think 6 foot 6 275 bodybuilder vs 5 foot 2 125 pound 60+ year old homeowner. That could be threatening enough to justify shooting. Now reverse those sizes. The intruder would not be thought of as very threatening.

Most Gun Classes tell you that you must be in fear for your OR someone else's life before you can shoot. And that is the safest way to go.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
As to California and whether they are part of the USA or not...

What is not fully appreciated by a lot of Europeans - but I'll bet the EU will eventually bring them to appreciate it more - is that the USA both is and is not a country. Is the EU a country? The USA is a group of states that have intertwined much - but not all - of their governments and businesses. There is this "thing" called "states' rights" in our constitution that expressly sets aside certain actions for the federal government and defines other rights as belonging to individuals. Federal rights include coining money, managing diplomatic relations, and regulating commerce among the various states. There is a middle ground in which each member state of the USA can set its own local laws and can choose the ways in which it wants to different from other states.

California has chosen to be a very liberal state in the political sense of the word liberal. Other states, Florida and Texas for example, have chosen to be more politically conservative. This means that state-sponsored welfare issues will differ from state to state. Some states have the death penalty on the books as punishment for premeditated murder, others don't have the death penalty. Some states have legalized marijuana at least for medical issues. Others take a harder stance against it.

If our non-USA friends find our politics confusing, welcome to the club. We USA folks have a hard time keeping up with things right now. One of our biggest game-changers is currently playing its way through our courts because of a simple decision by our Supreme Court and having to do with gun ownership laws. At least 20 different cases are pending that would strip away gun ownership restrictions from the state level and re-assert that the laws are governed at the federal level. So in an earlier question about gun ownership, I said the dust hadn't settled yet. A recent case has been accepted for review by the Supreme Court regarding whether a person can be penalized for carrying a gun that was properly licensed in his home state and cross a state line with it. The principle involved here is called "Reciprocity" and derives from a law that says the USA member states will accord full faith and credit to actions by other member states.

A second game-changer ruling that relates indirectly to this one is that some agencies seem to be making up rules (including gun rules) when Congress did not grant them decision-making power, only enforcement power over specific rules. And whether in fact these agencies SHOULD have the power that is normally reserved to Congress. States' Rights come into play ALL OVER this mess.

California is currently very strict about gun ownership but they are embroiled in not less than half-a-dozen major cases that would slap down ALL of their restrictions. So are they part of the USA? Legally, yes. However, one of THEIR local issues is partial Secession - sort of like Brexit - which would create at least two if not three separate states within current California borders. It is not clear whether the areas in question would secede from California but not from the USA.

AND there are those of us who wouldn't cry for a moment if California fully seceded. People are already leaving the state anyway because of their harsh laws that attempt to legislate morality rather than behavior. But... gotta say this for them. They DO take up a lot of headlines in the news!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Some of us feel that there should be a border wall around California preventing them from moving out and wrecking other states. They caused the problem, they need to live with it. They've already gone a long way toward wrecking Oregon and Washington along the coasts. Now they're moving to Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Montana and wrecking them. COVID has made that too much easier because lots of people are "working" from home that weren't able to in the past. Now it doesn't matter where they live so they're brining their seriously bad ideas to other states.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:15
I think in the UK, we don't appreciate the sheer size of what we call the USA. For example, you can fit the whole UK into Texas 3 times and that's just one state.
I live in the south of UK, if a murder occurs in the North UK, then we have it on national news. What I'm trying to say is that in the USA, I imagine people never hear of things in different parts of either the country or state because its so vast.
It must be incredibly difficult to govern such a massive area.
Quick question- it the wall still being built to separate Mexico from the USA? Or did Biden stop it because its a republican wall and not democrat.
Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom