Getting un-linked report and sub-reports together? (1 Viewer)

SurreyNick

Local time
Today, 15:37
I’m not even sure I’m asking the right question, so I’ll set out my problem and maybe someone can point me in the direction of a solution.

I have a suite of charts in a multi-tabbed form which I want to compile into a single report for printing. The majority of charts share the same source data and can be displayed together in one [main] report, but there are two which have a different data source and although they display fine in my form I can’t find a way to get them to display in my report even as sub-reports.

An obvious route would be to simply create multiple reports and print each individually but I don’t like this solution because I want the charts in the printed report in a particular order and the ones I’m having problems with need to be inserted between others in the main report. Nor do I want one chart per page because I can comfortably fit multiple charts to a page so they are too small to warrant a whole page of their own and I’d end up with an eight page report instead of a three pages.

I have tried a number of routes including exporting the various reports in RTF but all to no avail, so I’m now at the stage of wondering is it possible to create a dynamic link to a MS Word document and print them that way? If this isn’t possible can the charts be exported as .jpg and then recompiled in a Word document using VBA?

I’m sure I’m not the first person to have encountered this situation and overcome it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Nick.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:37
Hi Nick. I don't understand why you can't display them as subreports as long as you don't link them using the Linked Master/Child Fields properties.

SurreyNick

Local time
Yeah, I can't work it out either, especially as they do all display fine in the form. I have been pulling my hair out for the last 24 hours. Most of the charts are generated using the same query, but one of the ones I'm having a problem with is based on a totals query using the first query along with a number of expressions. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem but I'm at a complete loss.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, I can't work it out either, especially as they do all display fine in the form. I have been pulling my hair out for the last 24 hours. Most of the charts are generated using the same query, but one of the ones I'm having a problem with is based on a totals query using the first query along with a number of expressions. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem but I'm at a complete loss.
Listen, if you can create a separate report for each chart, then you should be able to display all of them as subreports in a single report. I don't understand why you can't. Make sure you don't add the linking fields when you add the subreport to the report. Have you tried that?

SurreyNick

Local time
Yep. Tried that without success, but I think I will take your advice and create a separate report for each chart and then see if I can collate them together in another report together. I haven't tried that route and on reflection I should have.
Nick.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yep. Tried that without success, but I think I will take your advice and create a separate report for each chart and then see if I can collate them together in another report together. I haven't tried that route and on reflection I should have.
Nick.
Okay. Let us know how it goes.

SurreyNick

Local time
Groan. I haven't only got a red face from sitting out in the sun too long.

I don't know what possessed me but I put the chart and data into the page header of the sub-reports that won't display. Naturally they display just fine on their own, but of course as soon as I try to embed them into another report nothing. Well, what a surprise!

4 days it has taken me to spot the obvious mistake - 4 days! My avatar speaks for itself. Someone pass me that dunce hat again LOL

Nick.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Groan. I haven't only got a red face from sitting out in the sun too long.

I don't know what possessed me but I put the chart and data into the page header of the sub-reports that won't display. Naturally they display just fine on their own, but of course as soon as I try to embed them into another report nothing. Well, what a surprise!

4 days it has taken me to spot the obvious mistake - 4 days! My avatar speaks for itself. Someone pass me that dunce hat again LOL

Nick.
Hi Nick. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom