Graph Crashing (Microsoft Office 2010 Component Has Stopped Working) (1 Viewer)

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:51
[SOLVED] Graph Crashing (Microsoft Office 2010 Component Has Stopped Working)

I've been getting some truly aggravating errors on some graphs recently. It's a simple XY Scatter graph. I'll set it up with the x and the 3 y variables going through the design wizard. When I go to view the form I get the following error:

"
Micosoft Office 2010 Component Has Stopped Working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.
"

There is a single button for "Close the Program". Clicking this doesn't crash the program. The form is still open. I can then go to the next record as normal and view the graph, and then go back to the original record that threw this error and it still works.

Weird.

Here's what I know:

1) The program that is crashing is Microsoft Graph. It has been behaving poorly for a while now, causing other issues like not using the correct x-axis.

2) This is not due to a corruption issue, but does seem to be dependent on a specific set of data. I can replicate this bug 100% with the same data set. I have linked the FE from different locations/new databases, and copied the tables to new databases and tried it. Still crashes every time.

3) This bug is new. I've had the same data set before with the same graph. This bug just started showing up after I tried to do some modification of the x-axis.

4) There is like ZERO info on this crash out there. Googling this phrase shows 1 or 2 obscure references from development copies of MS Office. I have bugged my entire IT team about it relentlessly. I reinstalled MS Office. I wiped my computer and reinstalled windows. Everything is new and clean. Still crashes every time.

I am getting a bit desperate here because this problem has completely stalled development on this database and that is severely problematic. Our resident Access expert had never seen this but suggested using static/compiled queries for the graphs, or using a vba generated one. The static query didn't fix it, haven't tried the vba generated query yet but I doubt it will do anything.

Does ANYONE have any idea what is causing this?

Ed: Found the crash in the Event Viewer. here are the details from it:

"
Faulting application name: GRAPH.EXE, version: 14.0.6129.5000, time stamp: 0x5081095b
Faulting module name: GRAPH.EXE, version: 14.0.6129.5000, time stamp: 0x5081095b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0008c474
Faulting process id: 0x2aa0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce34926a1653b6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\GRAPH.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\GRAPH.EXE
Report Id: aae92a72-a085-11e2-b244-5c260a80c175
"

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 19:51
I've had the same data set before with the same graph. This bug just started showing up after I tried to do some modification of the x-axis.

So YOU have done something that you have not specified exactly, and "it" doesn't like it. Then undo it. Or do something else.

I presume your system has all fixes and SP's applied?

Sometimes (seldom, though) there indeed IS a bug in the system, in which case you are done for, and the only thing you can do is to bypass it. Fiddle with the axes in some other way. . Or export data to Excel and make a graph there.

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
Modifying the axis should not cause MS Graph to crash. And it wasn't so much that I fiddled with the axis. It was opening up MS Graph that caused the problem from what I could tell.

edit: And to be clear, there is no undoing it. Creating a new graph from scratch causes the same crash.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Form whjat I understand it worked before. It doesn't work now, after you made changes to code or data or both.

Yes it should not crash but it does. Sue it. Or not. Undo your changes or make some other changes. Or else spend your life chasing irrelevant obstacles.

Update: Maybe you got hit by this amazing free Access feature called "corruption". Try compact & repair. If it doesn't help try importing all your objects into a new db and see what happens there.

Update2: No undoing? What about your backup? If you don't have one then now is the time to institute future backing up before each set of changes.

Last edited:

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 13:51

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
As I said I don't think it's a corruption issue. I've compacted and repaired and it still occurs. I've created a new FE DB, a new form, and linked to the tables and it still occurs. I've copied the tables over from the BE to a new DB, created new forms, and it still occurs.

Backups have the same problem. It's almost like its a corruption in the MS Office package, so I've gone ahead and reinstalled office. I thought it might even be a corruption in the windows registry (I was having some strange corruption problems with my hard-drive recently) so I reinstalled windows.

I have seen some strange problems with MS Graph before, particularly surrounding logarithmic axes. Like it will not display the data in the underlying query. Query has data in it from 10^3->10^9, data on graph is from 10^2->10^4. When you open up MS Graph you can even see the higher number data in the sheet. What's new this time is the actual crash of MS Graph.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
I had some problems with logarithmic axes in Access .. but that was ages ago ..with A2003. Again, my suggestion is to bypass the problem in any possible way.

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
So your suggestion is to fix the problem?

ed: Ok I know what you mean. Just not sure how to do that just yet. There is already an excel export option that works great. People want this graph for triage analysis though. There really isn't an alternative to displaying a graph that I can think of.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
My suggestion is to fix things. But when you have spent a lot of effort on fixing it, covering all the obvious things, then my suggestion is to bypass it. Turn the figure 90 degrees (i.e. axes -see if that helps). Change manner of display if possible -set larger/smaller scale., Export data to >Excel and do it there ...

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
Honestly this problem is making me consider dumping Access for the FE entirely and switching to VB and some proper BE. There is something just really clunky about MS Graph.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Do I detect someone getting emotional about this? DEpends on how much work it requires to complete an alternative solution. FOr now, put it asidew, read a book, see a movie, play with your loved ones and sleep on it.

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
A bit. But anyways, I do have some (a lot of) backups and I'll try rolling those back a bit to see if it makes a difference.

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
So I went ahead and rolled back to a previous version of the FE and BE, and got the same error.

I had some problems with logarithmic axes in Access .. but that was ages ago ..with A2003. Again, my suggestion is to bypass the problem in any possible way.

You mentioned that you had some problems with logarithmic axes before, do you remember what the issues were?

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
So I'm still having crazy problems with this issue. Any legit assistance that goes beyond the trolling above would be appreciated.

EDIT:

OK, I THINK I found something. This seems to be partially related to a command in MS Graph called "Plot on X Axis". *I THINK* that, for some reason, MS Graph is switching Plot on X Axis on automatically for this graph, for some reason.

I *THINK* I may be able to programatically revert that on load, but I'm not sure.

EDIT2:

OK, This guy seems to be having an almost identical problem to me. His seemed to fix itself on its own.

http://www.accessforums.net/queries/perplexing-scatter-chart-x-axis-problem-18287.html

Last edited:

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
I thought I should update this since I was able to solve this problem. The problem has to do with MS Graph being a piece of garbage really, but specifically it has to do with MS Graph forcing the PlotOnX attribute into the wrong form.

I have NO idea why it is doing this. It may have something to do with the logarithmic scale, but I'm not sure. Anyways, if anyone else has this problem then do the following with your graph as an onload event:

Code:
Set objChart =YourForm.YourGraph.Object
    Set objAxis = objChart.Axes(1)
    objChart.PlotOnX = 0
    objAxis.ScaleType = xlScaleLogarithmic

This should resolve it for the most part. I still get some goofy crashes due to MS Graph but they are rare and intermittent now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom