Greetings from New Hampshire, USA (1 Viewer)

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:17
Hi All, Thanks to all of you who take the time to post answers and sample databases! I've been developing and selling and application for environmental services departments for 20 years now. Up to two years ago I had a "day job" as a mechanical engineer and finally made the move to full-time development when our twins graduated from high school.

As I look back, I realize that I would be absolutely nowhere without the kindness of the experienced programmers who take the time to answer other people's questions. Let's face it, we're all busy and this is a kindness that goes unappreciated often (and I am guilty).

I've finally reached the point where I feel I can give a little back and spent some time creating a "developer's page" on our website (informedcorp.com) where I posted some sample databases. Some of this stuff will be way over the heads of people newly entering the field. But, I recall many times using code I could barely understand and found over the years it eventually started making sense to me.

My current "crowning achievement" is a sample database that shows how to use code to replace append queries for the moving data from one table to another. I have to do this in a major way each 12-18 month period when we release new versions since the table structure changes in the back end, rendering the old back end incompatible with the new front end.

The twist is that this code handles attachment fields with ease and "moves" data including attachments, including those with multiple attachments in the records. The code is self-contained in that it creates the needed table (of field definitions) on-the-fly. It took a good 120 hours of painful trial and error and painstaking attention to detail and would probably have to be sold at a high cost to ever get a positive ROI. For those of you who need it and can appreciate it, let's just say it's my way of saying 'THANK YOU'.

Just a tip - I found in the process of preparing this for general distribution that it really is more satisfying to give then receive. Call it "magic" or "Kharma" or whatever you like; there is something more valuable to the giver than the receiver here. One learns more and creates more professional code when the goal is, in part, to present a gift to others. If you are interested, just go to our home page and click on the Access developers link in the upper right-hand side of the page.

Claude Berman, Informed Software

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom