Greetings! (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 18:09
I've come across many useful threads in my googling that originated on this forum and thought I should join the fun! :)
My name is Jim and I am not a professional programmer. I am a mechanical designer by schooling but have always been interested in computers.

(Side note - my grandfather was involved in the implementation of the first Computervision CAD System at Babcock & Wilcox in Barberton, Ohio USA. Computervision used them to sell their CAD system to many other large companies around the world. He was the shop guy picked in the "choose one shop guy and one computer guy" to implement this new system. So, he had the original IBM PS/2 in his house when a computer cost as much as a new car! I learned QBasic in DOS 6.2 on that computer in middle school. Fond memories!)

I do 3D mechanical design, build my own computers and am the de facto IT guy. I am a glutton for punishment so I am trying to modernize our data storing using Access as an inexpensive tool. I know just enough to be dangerous. I am patient enough/particular enough to not do a bad job intentionally and to polish off the rough edges and make a nice application despite my amateur status. I've done enough VBA to not be scared but I also don't have any coding muscle memory for best practices, etc. The same applies to my DB knowledge. I'm a fast learner so I can know and understand more complex topics but my lack of formal training/experience means I can miss the obvious or try to reinvent the wheel using triangles! Hopefully this forum will mitigate some of that.

Personally, I like board games, chess, movies, music and of course, computers.

I look forward to getting to know some of you better and thank you in advance for your assistance!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:09
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

Here are just a couple of tips for you:

1. Feel free to ask any question you like, however basic you may feel it is, or even if it has been answered before. Our expert members thrive on helping you out!

2. If you prefer a dark theme to the forums, just go to the bottom left of this forum and click "Default style". You will then see a selection of themes to choose from. I like Shades of Blue. :)

3. If you like any of the answers you get, feel free to click the "Like" link on the bottom right hand corner of the post. If you hover over the Like link, you can even choose the type of smiley.

Above all, hang around here, have fun, learn stuff and join in.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 22:09
Hi Jim Welcome To AWF!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:09
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:09
Hi Jim, thanks for sharing your background. Sounds like a great foundation for continued growth! There is always more fun to be had.
Wheels as triangles...Hmm, the good thing is, you wouldn't need a parking brake! 🤣

JMongi

Local time
Today, 18:09
That's usually how it comes about isn't it?
"These wheels work great! No parking brake is needed. Why don't all these other smart car designers use triangles for wheels?! What morons!!"
"How does it roll on the road?"
"...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom