Gun violence

So what's the difference between a semi automatic, an automatic and a non automatic gun?

Sorry to be ignorant on this as I see on YouTube that Americans are taught to kill using guns from age 5. As guns are banned in the UK, I've never seen a real one.

Col

OK, Col, here you go:

In cowboy movies (the American "Old West") and in some war movies you will see guns that require a manual action before they will fire again. For instance, the German bolt-action rifle, the Old West lever-action rifle, and the classical flintlock are all non-automatic guns. Some old-style Old West revolvers require you to manually **** the hammer, which is called single-action. The Lee-Enfield rifle that was used by UK armed forces is an example of the non-automatic class, as it is a bolt-action weapon.

More recently, double-action revolvers allow you to fire up to the number of rounds in the revolver without manual cocking of the hammer. That falls into the category of semi-automatic. A semi-automatic weapon will reload or otherwise prepare itself, usually by capturing some of the recoil gasses of the weapon or absorbing the recoil of the cartridge as the power to cause that automatic reload. However, you still need to pull the trigger again to shoot it again. Holding down the trigger on a semi-auto weapon is just finger exercise. The U.S. Army's M-1 carbine (a relatively short-barrel rifle) is semi-auto. The weapon preferred by fictional hero James Bond was a Walther PPK, definitely semi-auto. Note that there is some confusion in designation, as many non-revolver pistols are called "automatic" but they are definitely semi-auto in operation.

A fully automatic weapon will reload itself, again based on recoil gas capture or spring-based recoil, but if you continue to hold down the trigger, it will fire again and will keep on firing until (a) you release the trigger or (b) you run out of ammunition. WW 2 fighter aircraft had fully automatic machine guns in the wings and, for bombers, in the turrets.

Right now there are some court controversies over definitions used by our U.S. Dept. of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, or "ATF" as we usually call it. (The ATF didn't originally to cover all four of those types of things, but... the group has evolved.) Since full-automatic weapons ARE commonly prohibited, the exact definition of "fully automatic" has come under scrutiny. The crucial part of the definition is "number of rounds fired based on a single actuation of the trigger." If the answer is one, it is at most a semi-auto. If it is more than one, it is automatic, even it has a limiter to stop it at three or five rounds fired.

Hope that clarifies the matter. You can own non-auto and semi-auto firearms. Full-auto guns are restricted.

Thanks Doc, I think I got it, although it is difficult if you've never seen any real gun, I know a rifle is long and a Colt is a six gun from cowboy films.
OK next thing. Let's say I visit the USA for a month's holiday. Could I walk into a gun shop and buy a gun to carry around for safety during my stay?
Col

Could I walk into a gun shop and buy a gun to carry around for safety during my stay?
Depends where you were. Each state has different laws. Some states have virtually no laws. Very difficult to travel interstate as not all states recognize licenses from other states.

federal law requires a background check for all firearms purchases from licensed dealers, regardless of the state. This requirement is part of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which is managed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The background check is intended to determine whether the prospective buyer is eligible to purchase a firearm under federal law.

Could I walk into a gun shop and buy a gun to carry around for safety during my stay?
Col

I'm going to SUGGEST that you might not be able to do so because your non-USA identification would prevent background checks that are typically required. However, at the moment, gun licensing is a states' rights issue, so there are 50 different sets of laws.

If you recall, we mentioned that our country has tiers of laws - federal, state, and local/municipal. Gun licensing laws typically fall into the matter of state authority. Though a rather interesting approach has recently been taken regarding gun ownership. Basically, the right to keep and bear arms is a federal-level right derived directly from the 2nd amendment, which is part of the USA constitution by having been ratified as an amendment during the initial formation of the constitution. Some people are suing states that are more restrictive and pointing out that their laws have the result of uneven applicability for what should be a federal right. In other words, a change in interpretation of a federal right by crossing state lines. Which isn't supposed to happen. That argument and many others are currently scrapping it out in our federal appelate court system. It's a more cerebral version of "bread and circuses."

Going back to gun violence (the thread subject) I was wondering if there is any restrictions on what weapons Americans can buy? For instance, can you buy grenades or rocket launchers etc? Or is it restricted at all. I should think its great fun to fire a rocket thing into a car or bus.
Col
I had a older relative that was in WW2 and had a schmeizer machine pistion on the wall in his basement. It was, and is, very illegle Rockets and grenades are illegle as well. That, untill the gun lobby decides tat Ruger needs more cash, then decides that the best protection for Americans is to have a machine gun and a grenade launcher. Some time ago the USA outlawed the bumpstock, but if the administration changes, like McCarther, it shall return.

federal law requires a background check for all firearms purchases from licensed dealers, regardless of the state. This requirement is part of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which is managed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The background check is intended to determine whether the prospective buyer is eligible to purchase a firearm under federal law.
Then why do so many droks get gus, the kill a lot of people?

The above statute was established through the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1993.

I have no idea what you are referencing.

Depends where you were. Each state has different laws. Some states have virtually no laws. Very difficult to travel interstate as not all states recognize licenses from other states.

In arizona, you could go here https://gunsarizona.com/
and within 15 min be arranging to meet someone and buy in cash. No limits at all.

the only thing the seller is prohibited from doing, based on the laws and ergo reasoning, is knowingly selling to someone who isn't allowed.
due diligence is close to zero. I sold mine and just got a picture of the guy's drivers license. I had no idea if he was allowed or not, wasn't my responsibility to check.

Some of them are transvestites in nashville who have been taught from a young age to hate christians - and to hate anyone who disagrees with any treasured component of their life, including sexual fetishes. In fact, mostly including sexual fetishes.
Weird world we live in..

Some of them are transvestites in nashville who have been taught from a young age to hate christians - and to hate anyone who disagrees with any treasured component of their life, including sexual fetishes. In fact, mostly including sexual fetishes.
Weird world we live in..
Everything with you comes down to gender issues.

Everything with you comes down to gender issues.
You mean everything with the nashville shooter came down to gender issues. :sneaky:
Hey bro, I'm just following the fashions.

Strangely, it seems to be the current obsession of liberals - which means we all are impacted and have to deal with it.

Thanks Doc, I think I got it, although it is difficult if you've never seen any real gun, I know a rifle is long and a Colt is a six gun from cowboy films.
OK next thing. Let's say I visit the USA for a month's holiday. Could I walk into a gun shop and buy a gun to carry around for safety during my stay?
Col

a violent home invasion--when homeowners are present in the house, or their wife or kids--occurs every two minutes in the USA.

if you lived here, you'd buy a gun, too.

a violent home invasion--when homeowners are present in the house, or their wife or kids--occurs every two minutes in the USA.

if you lived here, you'd buy a gun, too.
Yes, it must be a great feeling to kill someone and plead self defence and get away with it. Not sure where I'd live though.
Col

Yes, it must be a great feeling to kill someone and plead self defence and get away with it. Not sure where I'd live though.
Col

What makes you think that would be a great feeling?

It depeneds what state you are visiting, plus there is a robust black market. It's way too easy to get a gun in the states. I think all gun owners should be licensed, like drivers a license. I have owned a lot of guns, I was a hunter, and I also worked with an estate dealer resoring old, valuable guns. One gun I restored the stock on sold or $30,000. Made in 1921, Germany, 7 x 57 side by side double barreled rile. The art work on the lock and barrels was amazing. At that time in Germany military weapons were outlawed, so gun makers made hunting riles with a lot of art work on them. At any one time I might 10 or so guns in my house. I had 2 small children then and kept the guns broken down and in a safe, and the ammo was in a separate safe. One o my neighbors asked which gun I would use in self defense, and I told hin I would take this trigger finger and dial 911.

One o my neighbors asked which gun I would use in self defense, and I told hin I would take this trigger finger and dial 911.
That's cute, but do you think you'd eschew the use of a firearm if an intruder posed a threat in your home while waiting for the cops?
Sorry, but that's just as silly as the opposite spectrum where people talk tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom