Another mass shooting (2 Viewers)

jpl458

Local time
Yesterday, 22:44
Shooting at Super Bpwl parade. Lets not do anything about it. We lost 50,000 soldiers in Viet Nam. We are loosing 40,000 civilians a year because there is no gun control. Stupid. If you have gun, any gun, you should have a license, and there should be background checks. Or, lets arm everyone and see how that works out.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Probably career criminals that get processed and released to commit more crime. Why not just keep these folks locked up? It works every time it's tried.

jpl458

Local time
I have a potato gun.
Well. I have a salt gun, that I use to, kill flies, much to the concern of the fly party.
Probably career criminals that get processed and released to commit more crime. Why not just keep these folks locked up? It works every time it's tried.
That is not a solution. Backgound checks would diminish the problem.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This story will go away once the race, gender or pronouns are announced.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:44
Missouri is a shall issue state with open carry. 18.5 guns per 1000 people. Where were the good guys with the guns?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Where were the good guys with the guns?
They're afraid to carry them. If they were to come to their own defense or the defense of someone else, THEY are the ones who would be prosecuted, not the criminal that started the shooting.
We are loosing 40,000 civilians a year because there is no gun control. Stupid
Stupid yes? But not because there is no gun control. We do not enforce the laws we have or we enforce them selectively. If our gun laws were enforced equally, Hunter Biden would be behind bars and so would anyone who brings a gun to a crime or is caught carrying illegally.

jpl458

Local time
They're afraid to carry them. If they were to come to their own defense or the defense of someone else, THEY are the ones who would be prosecuted, not the criminal that started the shooting.

Stupid yes? But not because there is no gun control. We do not enforce the laws we have or we enforce them selectively. If our gun laws were enforced equally, Biden would be behind bars and so would anyone who brings a gun to a crime or is caught carrying illegally.

Probably not wanting to shoot into a crowd of innocent bystanders, unlike the bad guys with guns.

Most likely repeat offenders.
If they are repeat offender, why do they have acces to guns? Are repeat offender coverd by the second amendment? Or, are they a militia, which is mentioned in the amendment.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If they are repeat offender, why do they have acces to guns? Are repeat offender coverd by the second amendment? Or, are they a militia, which is mentioned in the amendment.
None of the above, they are part of a protective class.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
why do they have acces to guns?
Ask your local prosecutor why? Do you actually think criminals just walk into gun stores and ask for something suitable to take to a mass shooting?

jpl458

Local time
Ask your local prosecutor why? Do you actually think criminals just walk into gun stores and ask for something suitable to take to a mass shooting?
Happens a lot. Look at the number of wackjobs that walked into a store and bought an AR 15. Indiana is the gun store for Chicago gangs. Any Dork can go to Indiana and buy any sort of gun.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Look at the Indiana gun laws that @jpl458 referenced. Private sales and gun shows.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:44
As a non-US person, I have still no comprehension why anyone outside the military or special armed response police units would have any sane or logical reason to be able to legally possess a fully automatic assault rifle.
They are designed with one very specific and obvious task in mind, and are remarkably efficient at it.

if someone can provide a reason I'm all ears.

I'm not saying that they should try and ban all the guns. I personally have no interest in owning one, but I have done some sports Shotgun and Air Rifle shooting in the past, and fully understand that removing small firearms from the average US citizen simply isn't going to happen any time soon.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:44
@Minty

As to definition:

There is a distinction between assault weapons and semi-automatic weapons. A semi-automatic weapon requires one trigger actuation for exactly and only one round to be fired. Neither type of weapon generally requires a manual operation to reload after one round has been fired.

However, if you look it up, you will find - for most legal definitions - that "assault rifles" have the ability to "select fire" which implies full-automatic operation, the ability to fire more than one round on a single actuation of the trigger. So, for example, if you see headlines about the USA's popular AR-15 rifle, that is a semi-automatic weapon but not an assault weapon because it does not have a full-auto mode or short-burst mode. With a rifle, most purists don't care that it looks impressive. They care how well it shoots.

The news you hear makes you ask why someone wants "to legally possess a fully automatic assault rifle." But we don't. Full-auto weapons require special, more stringent licenses. The shooter incidents you hear about are committed by folks with semi-auto weapons.

As to why someone would have a semi-auto weapon:

In target shooting sports, your target isn't usually going anywhere if you miss the shot. Though there are competitions with moving targets, there are also a lot of contests with stationary targets. If you take a fraction of a second longer to ready the next round, it is not usually going to result in a terrible score. Accuracy usually counts more. Therefore, semi-auto weapons DO show up in competitions but other types show up as well.

But what about other sporting uses? When you go deer hunting as my brother-in-law frequently does, if your first shot misses, your second shot is quickly ready whereas a bolt or lever action rifle takes longer, makes extra noise, and gives your target more of a chance to get away.

If you hunt feral hogs (commonly done in Texas and Louisiana and Mississippi), the ability to shoot quickly means you can more easily get rid of those hogs because their herds scatter on the first shot. Feral hog hunting is legal because they are classed as an invasive nuisance animal that eats whole fields of farmer's crops.

If you go hunting for nutria, you had better hit with the first shot or have a semi-auto weapon handy, because they will attack you since they are territorial. Again, nutria hunting is legal because they are invasive nuisance animals that destroy natural vegetation and thus contribute to land loss in the marshes by eating plants that normally would prevent erosion. It doesn't help population control efforts that they are quite fertile little buggers.

While hunting alligators, they will go into a frenzy if your first shot isn't a kill shot. Their natural ridged armor protects them and makes the kill shot harder to assure. On the show Swamp People, they sometimes show that a gator's natural scaly armor deflects the bullet or shatters it and the ricochet can wound the hunters. So you had better be ready to take another shot real fast. Once upon a time, the American Alligator was a protected species, but they rebounded so well that now there is actually a population glut of them and Louisiana has a yearly month-long hunting season for them, hoping (but lately, not succeeding) to thin out the population.

In all of the cases I named above, I have only chosen hunting of animals within a day's drive of my home, a region including the western Gulf of Mexico coastal area. Now multiply that by how many different hunting regions there are in the USA. You will find an equal number of similar reasons for people to legitimately have semi-auto weapons.

jpl458

Local time
As a non-US person, I have still no comprehension why anyone outside the military or special armed response police units would have any sane or logical reason to be able to legally possess a fully automatic assault rifle.
They are designed with one very specific and obvious task in mind, and are remarkably efficient at it.

if someone can provide a reason I'm all ears.

I'm not saying that they should try and ban all the guns. I personally have no interest in owning one, but I have done some sports Shotgun and Air Rifle shooting in the past, and fully understand that removing small firearms from the average US citizen simply isn't going to happen any time soon.
Guns are designed to do one or two of three things: punch holes in paper, p;unch holes in animals or punch holes in people. Military/Assault rifles are only designed for the last. A very good hunting rifle and execlent target rifle is the Remmington 700 in 308 caliber, which in Viet Nam, was the weapon used by American snipers. It is a bolt action gun, not semi-automatic. The AR 15 is not that accurate at distances over 150 yards (as I remember) beccause the length of the bullet causes it to yaw. For killing people it makes up for that with rapid fire power and a clip that can hold 30 rounds. Using an outlawed bump stock you could turn it into a fully automatic weapon (a machine gun). I was surprised when the increasingly defunct NRA didn't have a melt down when it was outlawed. I agree with you, I see no earthly need for assault rifles to be available to civilians. I would hazard a guess that owning an AR 15 gives those people a feeling of power and control that they don't have in thier daily lives.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom