Handling Concurrent User Access (1 Viewer)

Waheed2008

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:31
Hi,

I have come across a situation. I need to develop a database for HR department for hiring. There are about 30 departments in the office and these departments are distributed among 12 HR officers. Each HR Officer works on 2 or 3 of these departments at a time throughout the day. Currently the HR department is using Excel Workbook to keep record of each department (hence 34 Workbooks in use). I want to convert this system in Access.

Now the problem is that I am confused how to handle these department. To keep record, every department has exactly same type of data. I was planning to make one table for each department and make one form to enter data into each table (hence total 30 tables for departments). This sounds weird approach. I have done this to avoid concurrent access problem.

If I make one table to keep data of 30 departments and one Form for entry, will it be possible for 12 users to open the same DB, open the same Form and Insert/Update the same table at the same time? What approach should I follow?

Any suggestion and help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:31
Here are a few links to get you started.
Access tips
Perfomance
Multiuser

Do not overlook Google and youtube to have answers to Access and Database related questions.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 02:31
Hmm ..jdraw normally answers what he's asked, and I weave and blaaah ..:D

Anyways: one type of data goes into one table. If you do one table per dept it will cause you eternal PITA in management of data and code, maintenance, execution and updates.

And you split the db and make a front end for each and backend on a common drive. Google split db.

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:31
Hi,

I have come across a situation. I need to develop a database for HR department for hiring. There are about 30 departments in the office and these departments are distributed among 12 HR officers. Each HR Officer works on 2 or 3 of these departments at a time throughout the day. Currently the HR department is using Excel Workbook to keep record of each department (hence 34 Workbooks in use). I want to convert this system in Access.

Now the problem is that I am confused how to handle these department. To keep record, every department has exactly same type of data. I was planning to make one table for each department and make one form to enter data into each table (hence total 30 tables for departments). This sounds weird approach. I have done this to avoid concurrent access problem.

If I make one table to keep data of 30 departments and one Form for entry, will it be possible for 12 users to open the same DB, open the same Form and Insert/Update the same table at the same time? What approach should I follow?

Any suggestion and help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Definitely one table. You can control the individual officers' access through a user's rights table and after they log on you apply filters to restrict them only to departments they are authorized to work with.

https://support.office.com/en-ca/ar...database-2a493ded-e544-4144-9103-b9b1d1865147

Best,
Jiri

Waheed2008

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:31
Hi,
I have followed spikepl and Solo712 recommendations. I have made one table to keep data for all departments and made one Form to enter data. Then I split front and back end of Database; keeping back end on central location and distributed front end to 12 users. These users can access the same table concurrently with no issue. Everything is working fine.
Thanks for helping me around.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom