headers number reach 255 into a table (1 Viewer)

Alt

Local time
Today, 03:36
I have a friend which have reach the access headers limits into a table. What's the best solution (ex. split content into another one)?

Regards!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:36
It very much sounds like your friend is adding a field to the table to represent some sort of added information.

A typical example would be where your database handles students and the subjects they take. A new subject is added to the curriculum, let's say a new language:- "Klingon"

The subject table has a different field for each subject, and because a new subject is added to the curriculum, you have to add a new field to the subject table.

If this is the case, then the structure of your database resembles a spreadsheet. It is very likely that it started out in a spreadsheet, and was later transferred to MS Access.

This is a very common mistake made by most people I reckon.

It will eventually make the database unusable, as your friend has discovered because he now has a problem with a table with too many Fields.

The solution is to take the subject data and put it in a slightly different table structure as a explained in my blog here:-

Reactions: Alt

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 02:36
Your "friend" should read up on normalization:

That's the process of properly setting up your tables. Give it a read, work thru some tutorials and then apply what you learn to your data. Sorry, your friends data. You could also post a screenshot of the table so we can see all it's fields and we can give you/your friend specific advice

Reactions: Alt

Alt

Local time
After looking carefully into his works, I found out than he put headers for 4 different reports. I think the best will be to split those fields into 3 new different tables and used specific keys on each new tables.

reports:
1- instruments list (only one document, weekly issued)
2- instruments datasheets (each datasheet will be generated in excel and will have a specific DocNo)
3- process conditions (linked to the instruments datasheets, only tracking import date from cells)
4- documents tracker (to track 1 to 3 above)

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:36
(each datasheet will be generated in excel and will have a specific DocNo)

If you mean you are going to export data from your MS Access database into Excel spreadsheets then you might find this blog of mine helpful:-

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll bet there are still some 1-many relationships lurking in there. Usually, we can spot them because they have numeric suffixes but sometimes, the repeating group is less obvious. For example, you have rental properties and you want to track expenses so you build columns. Gas, Oil, Electric, Water, Lawn, Snow.

Then you buy a new property with a pool and you have to change forms, queries, report, code to accommodate the new expense types. Turns out that expenses is a repeating group and the items belong in a separate, many-side table. That way when you find a new type, it is just a new row in the definition table. NOTHING else has to change.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 00:36
After looking carefully into his works, I found out than he put headers for 4 different reports. I think the best will be to split those fields into 3 new different tables and used specific keys on each new tables.

reports:
1- instruments list (only one document, weekly issued)
2- instruments datasheets (each datasheet will be generated in excel and will have a specific DocNo)
3- process conditions (linked to the instruments datasheets, only tracking import date from cells)
4- documents tracker (to track 1 to 3 above)
Here's an excellent series of articles that describe the problem of spreadsheet style tables, and more importantly, how to fix them (and no, it's not just randomly splitting fields off into new tables). Roger applies the rules of normalization to the problem. You should help your friend do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom