Hello from an addicted fledgling! (1 Viewer)

Megan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:15
I didn’t expect to become entranced, but apparently there’s just something about Access. I will probably lurk and grovel for help quite a bit, but I’ll also try to extend help where I can (with a repetitive disclaimer of “listen to me at your own peril and amusement. Sometimes I get it right, you might be lucky!”)

I took an online Access course (as well as a Java course) in the spring semester and enjoyed it, though what’s really got me hooked is the process of creating a database for a friend’s business - a process I am in the midst of now. I love the brainstorming, implementing, finding mistakes, looking stuff up, revising, studying the basics again, and creating something that could be helpful.

Creativity tends to be my strength (and perhaps weakness). I used to do math for fun in junior high and I feel like I’m revisiting those days times ten. Good times!

Thank you for the help I’ve sneaked from this forum already. I look forward to exploring ideas, and maybe even in the process helping people (or at least just making them laugh at my wide-eyed noobishness). After perusing a few database forums, I’m excited about this one. I decided to register after searching different forums and being drawn to this forum’s activity and structure.

Basically, I feel like this but I’m reveling in the process and the solutions that DO flesh out to be practical:

"I have not failed. I have found 10,000 solutions that do not work." - Thomas Edison

michaeljryan78

Registered User.
Local time
This is a great forum to find answers to your questions. I have found the help to be accurate and responses pretty quick. Fro the reponses that aren't so quick, it gives me time to really wrap my head around the issue at hand and develope and implement my own solution.

Good Luck!

Megan

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you. So far I've found some great tips. It comes in handy with this first "real" database I'm creating. Sometimes it is hard to know where to start, but things seem to fill out eventually even if changes have to be made to some foundational issues and their cascading effects. I've been looking through the "sticky" threads to try to glean some basics I may not know about.

CharlieJoe

Local time
Today, 10:15
As a newbie, I hope to get as much out of the forum as you. My projects will be less profound. Just simple utilities to learn ACCESS and VBA. Like you, I do think forum will be a great learning tool. Wish I had registered sooner.
Take care.

Megan

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks! Profound can be overrated, hehe. :) I'm finding it is a sink or swim type of situation which can be stressful at times (usually when a solution seems elusive), but boy am I learning a lot. It seems to be one of those dynamics that holds opposites (I am both questioning my abilities more and more and trusting more and more in my abilities.) The more I learn, the more aware of my ignorance and blind spots I become. Cheers to learning together!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 16:15
Megan - welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn. It has oppened my eyes up to the posiblitities of all applications and not just databases. My impression is that processes and computer languages are gradually getting more accessible which is great. It is a very satisfying thing to have designed your own systems.

You become very confident in your work place if you completely understand the sytems on which everyone works...

Megan

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the welcome. I agree that programming (and networking) seems to become more and more accessible. No pun intended, right? ;) This seems especially the case when we consider how much easier it is to publish a database to the web. Indeed, it is extremely satisfying to create programs - something I've wanted to do many times over the years. Aaaah, every bit of success is so encouraging!

I'm glad to hear that this is a good place to learn. I have yet to ask for much help, though I'm feeling like the bubble will burst soon and I'll have some questions I can't find the answers to, even after a substantial amount of research.

Like you, I have interest in expanding my knowledge beyond Access and databases, though at the moment Access is my focus...if not my obsession. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom