Hello World... (1 Viewer)

johnworth

Local time
Today, 00:54
Sorry, I just can't resist a pun ;). I haven't used Access since version 1 and didn't use it very much before I moved on. Mostly I have been managing ERP implementations that included designing customizations using Oracle and Sequel Server. That always included working with the developers who were much better at programming than I ever was, to deliver the customizations. Now I am in a position to actually create some tools myself :).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome aboard!

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 03:54
Welcome to this community. I happen to be developing some sudo ERP software for a large client. The company uses JD Edwards for production, however the new product development team can not design new products in JDE, so that is where the need for the application I am working on comes in.

Rumor is that Oracle will replace JDE "someday", but for now there is need to develop this custom solution.

johnworth

Local time
Sounds interesting. Last I knew JDE was an IBM AS400 ERP so it would not surprise me that they want to develop tools outside of that world. Sorry, my anty IttyBittyMinds biggotry is showing. What industrial sector is your company in?

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 03:54
More the problem is of separation of production vs R&D. Rules surrounding JDE here are too rigid to allow R&D to be R&D. Oracle, OTOH, has separate dedicated tools postured towards R&D.

johnworth

Local time
One of my problems also.

TheDBA Manufacturing ERP / MRP package I have been implementing in phases suffers from some inflexibility. In this situation, the inflexibility is more often a benefit than a problem. This company never had a system before and operated off a conglomeration of Excel workbooks. The lack of flexibility in the new system, which is conceptually well founded, has allowed me to focus on discipline and the benefits of integrated non-redundant data instead of trying to work around the symptoms caused by lacks thereof. I would be surprised if JDE isn't more flexible with a lot more data being tracked than the DBA Manufacturing package I am working with.

That said, we are heavilly focused on engineering / design and manufacturing aircraft products, with significant ISO and AS9100 quality management and traceability needs, plus lots of pressure to compress design to cash cycle time and costs which complicates the problems.

I'm not complaining. Overall, it's actually quite a challenging and exciting environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom