Hello (1 Viewer)

AndrewS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:15
Returning to database design after a break, and slowly coming to terms with Access2016.

I started programming in the youth of personal computing in the UK with the Grundy NewBrain. Anyone remember that? It had a massive 32Kb memory and a built in LED display that could show about 16 characters!

My first database was a theatre booking system written c. 1986 using Hypercard for the Mac, and then I moved on to pcs and spent many years developing systems using Paradox for DOS right up to 2010. I miss the elegant simplicity of the event-orientated programming of Paradox for DOS, but Windows 10 has finally killed off such ancient DOS programmes.

Using Access 2016 now, and developing a contracts management system for my employer, who finally relented after me repeatedly telling them that what they want is not something that Excel can do.
At its heart it's not a complex app I'm developing at all, but the complication is needing to make it as user-friendly as possible, as so many ordinary users are just plain frightened of Access, I find.

My first question for the forum will come tomorrow ... it's home time now!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:15
Hi AndrewS,

Your post to me down memory lane. I cut my teeth with Paradox 3.5 for DOS and I thought it was the best thing since sliced white bread!

With the intrusion of MS Office into corporate world, I was drug kicking and screaming into the world of Access. Call it Stockholm Syndrome but I have drank long and deep from the kool-aid. Hence, my presence her. I really do miss trying "DoIt!" To run a query though!

Welcome to the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom