Help: Create a Database (1 Viewer)

Cherry3464

Local time
Today, 16:04
Hello,

I am new to Access and learning as I go. I am building a database to keep track of onboarding agencies for my department. I have a running list of the agencies that are added daily, along with their contact information and so on. My hope is to have a tracking system that allows me to check the status of the agencies onboarding process until completion. I want to include a query where I am prompted to check the provider status every 15 and 30 days. I want to create a query that would show me the name of the agencies that I need to check on that 15th & 30th day. Also, can I create a way for access to prompt me every 15th and 30th day to complete the check. Each provider is added to the database on varying days so the checks will be completed at different time. Thanks for your assistance

Hello,

I have read over the information Jdraw share with me and came up with them. I am not sure if it is 100 percent correct but it is what I understood from the information I read. Below is my table structure

Attachments

• image002.png
    image002.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:04
Hi. Building a relational database application starts with the table structure. Can you show us your table structure (if you would like us to comment on them)?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Further to theDBguy's advice, here is some info to assist with database design that leads you through the basic steps.
For practical experience / learning of tables and relationships spend 45-60 minutes and work through one or two of these tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary. What you learn can be used with any database. Good luck with your project.

Tutorials :
ZYX Laboratories
Class info system
Catering Business
Widgets

Cherry3464

Local time
Hi. Building a relational database application starts with the table structure. Can you show us your table structure (if you would like us to comment on them)?
Hello,

I only have one table so I would need to build a relational structure first. So I am going to do that following the advise below and when I am finish I will show the table structure. Thank you DBguy.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:04
Hello,

I only have one table so I would need to build a relational structure first. So I am going to do that following the advise below and when I am finish I will show the table structure. Thank you DBguy.
Hi. I think you are starting out in the right direction. Work on the table structure design first and make sure the relationships are correct before thinking about how the database application will look like and function.

Cherry3464

Local time
Hi. I think you are starting out in the right direction. Work on the table structure design first and make sure the relationships are correct before thinking about how the database application will look like and function.
Can you tell me if the table structure look correct. Thanks

Cherry3464

Local time
I realize that the table structure I posted before was incorrect. Is this one right?
1605707187163.png

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Cherry,
I am not familiar with the term "onboarding". However, I found this via Google and thought it might be useful to you regarding processes and concepts.

Could you provide an overview in plain English of your "business" so we can put some context to this thread?

Cherry3464

Local time
Jdraw,

Sorry for not being clear hopefully below explanation can help you to see what I am looking to do.

I work in the social service sector and I am responsible for overseeing a part of the application process for an agency becoming an approved provider under our agency.

First Part: The requesting department send me an email with the following: name of agency, Executive director (first/last name) address, email address, phone/fax, Cost code-which uniquely identified the agency(four digits) and their FID (Tax ID #)

Second Part: making sure that the agency have access to three system (CARI, I3 and CRO). Once they have access I have to record the date.
Third Part: make sure that they are tested in two of the system CARI and I3 and record the date to that as well.
Fourth Part: Once the executive Director (ED)has completed the I3 and CARI testing and receiving access I send the completed dates back to the requesting department.

I am trying to create a database that would help me to be more efficient in this process. Sometimes it takes the ED a long time to complete the process so I wanted to create some 15 and 30 day check points to assist me in doing so. Please let me know if you have anymore questions or anything that was unclear. Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:04
Cherry, what you are doing is, in essence, trying to make a data flow model of a real-world business process. Make your tables represent discrete entities that are part of the process.

For instance, you refer to an "agency" - which is a perfect candidate for a table.
You have a check-list of steps that need to be followed. That check-list can be another table.

What I usually suggest during the design phase is that you find a white-board and some sticky notes and try to draw a picture of the process, realizing that you are merely documenting data flow. BUT if you capture that information (i.e. take a picture with your cell phone now and then) you have started a guidebook on the process that you are trying to mirror digitally. This helps you identify things / events / steps about the process that you will want to document when you are running. I.e. you wanted to capture certain dates. You wanted to capture testing results.

Once you have this process captured, it becomes a reference document for you to look back at a later point and answer the rhetorical question, "What was it that I wanted to do with this little tidbit of data?" Sounds tedious as all heck, right? It is - but have you ever heard the old adage about "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

Cherry3464

Local time
Cherry, what you are doing is, in essence, trying to make a data flow model of a real-world business process. Make your tables represent discrete entities that are part of the process.

For instance, you refer to an "agency" - which is a perfect candidate for a table.
You have a check-list of steps that need to be followed. That check-list can be another table.

What I usually suggest during the design phase is that you find a white-board and some sticky notes and try to draw a picture of the process, realizing that you are merely documenting data flow. BUT if you capture that information (i.e. take a picture with your cell phone now and then) you have started a guidebook on the process that you are trying to mirror digitally. This helps you identify things / events / steps about the process that you will want to document when you are running. I.e. you wanted to capture certain dates. You wanted to capture testing results.

Once you have this process captured, it becomes a reference document for you to look back at a later point and answer the rhetorical question, "What was it that I wanted to do with this little tidbit of data?" Sounds tedious as all heck, right? It is - but have you ever heard the old adage about "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?
Thank you! I actually started to do the paper and pen method before but started redoing it yesterday to focus on the structure. I am trying to get my mind to understand what it is I need to do to achieve the relationship aspect of this process. It is taking me some time but that is okay because I want to be able to understand what I am doing. Yes, I have heard the old adage but it makes a lot of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom