Help (F1) in 2010? (1 Viewer)

Toff

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:46
Finally got the company to spring for Office 2010 for everyone. Coming from MANY years stuck at Office 2000.

Upgrading all the databases went better than I expected BUT what is up with help now? Can I no longer longer highlight a word and hit F1 to get a definition of it? Does help just suck in 2010 or am I just totally missing something (entirely possible)?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 10:46
with 2007 and 2010, the help files has been... interesting.

One simple fix to get it to work sanely again is to disable online content and have the help search only local content. This will give you much much better results and mirror what you'd have seen on MSDN whereas online content just display either fluff or nothing.

Oh, and more often than not, you also want to search "Developer Reference" because that's where programming information are - on occasion I do use the other section but for most of time, it's "Developer Section".

You can change this by selecting the dropdown arrow on the Search button when you open the Help windows.

Toff

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:46
Ahhhh, Developer Reference is useful. Thanks a ton, at least its better than the online option.

I may have never found where to change that by myself.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 10:46
Glad to help. It did indeed take me a long while before I realized. When I installed the Office, I did set it to offline simply because I didn't want to wait for online stuff come and hogging the bandwidth and was puzzled by everyone else complaining how crappy it was. Only until did somehow I either inadvertently or accidentally turn it back online did I realize how awful it was. Turn it offline, and it works.

Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom