help in deciding the best way to set up my database (1 Viewer)

Jason_c

Local time
Today, 22:47
Hi guys n gals

I want to create a Database for Client management in my business, I'm a bookkeeper, and I need to record lots of information on my clients, a list of which I'll make below. This, I can tell, is going to give me many many months of headaches and heartache, so I've come here to at least get an understanding of the ground work I'm going to have to put in getting the basic table structures correct first.

I will try and give you as best description of how I want the database to work, input methods etc, so bear with me if this seems to be a wall of text. I'm not looking for you guys to do all the work for me, just some help in the best way to structure my tables/queries/forms that will get the best out of the information stored.

List of information to record :
  • Client details: Name, address etc
  • Client type : Limited, Sole trade, partnership etc
  • Services for each client: Bookkeeping, VAT, Payroll etc
  • Frequency of service: weekly, monthly, quarterly etc
  • For each service, when it was completed, sent to client, approved, filed with the authorities etc

I offer, I guess, 2 types of service:

1) Accountancy: encompassing bookkeeping, vat, payroll and management accounts.
2) Company secretarial: encompassing filing annual returns, recording minutes of meetings, dividend warrants, and all other co sec paperwork.

A lot of my work has filing deadlines, specific dates determined by the relevant government bodies with which they are due to be filed, of varying frequency, some annually, quarterly and monthly. I'd like eventually to be able to produce a report that shows what deadlines are to be met for the following month so I can structure my work load accordingly.

Then to record when the work was completed, sent to client, approved by client and ultimately filed with the relevant gov't body.

Depending on Company type, various questions should be asked about each company. If its a sole trader, then Companies house becomes a mute point, as Companies house only requires information to be filed on Incorporated bodies, i.e, Limited Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships. If its VAT registered, the VAT registration date, Number and VAT stagger (the months of the vat periods) and the filing frequency (Monthly, Quarterly, Annually). If there's a Payroll, the PAYE scheme number, frequency of the payroll, and filing dates for the PAYE/NI (monthly, quarterly) So when developing a form for inputting new client data, I'd like it to filter out and extraneous information not required.

Well, that's a basic overview of what I'd like to achieve, daunting as it is.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice you can give me in the best way to structure my prime data.

Jason

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 15:47
Welcome to the forum. There have been other questions like this one.
What is your programming experience? That would be a huge factor.
If you were just to sit down and write out the general requirements, objectives, detailed design and test plan - my guess is that it would take you around 160 hours.

What you are looking for is somewhat general. There are companies that offer these kinds of things in an Access database and include the source code so you can modify, customize, and/or enhance it.
The last time I looked, it seems to me that it was somewhere around $160 or less depending on the companies.
What is your time worth?
What is your lost opportunity worth?
What is your ramp-up time to learn all the past mistakes not in an off-the-shelf product developed by a team?

One company I use to support had a very verbose Natural Gas Trading custom software in Access. The developer took a job at Microsoft Access Development. Lets say he was really good. It took him a couple of years part time to perfect it. For the GL and Accounting, he had them buy an off-the-shelf package. As he left, I stepped in to take over enhancements and maintenance coding. The OTS accounting had half of the features not even used. But, they were there for consideration. For example: it had a currency converter and kept track of daily rates. The company expanded to trade with Canada. What a bonus, it was already there to be used.

My advice is that you spend a few hours locating some OTS Access accounting packages that offer source code. If it supports a Microsoft SQL Server back-end, you should consider that too.

Good luck to you. May you have so many good paying customers that you forget three birthdays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom