Solved help needed with update query (1 Viewer)

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:45
DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE CUSTOMERS SET Firstname = '" & Me.fname.Value & "', Lastname = '" & Me.lname.Value & "', PostalAddress = '" & Me.paddress.Value & "', City/District = '" & Me.city.Value & "', ContactNumber = " & Me.contact.Value & ", RegistrationDate = #" & Me.datej.Value & "#, Gender = '" & Me.gender.Value & "', DateofBirth = #" & Me.datofbirt.Value & "#, MaritalStatus = '" & Me.Mstatus.Value & "', Email = '" & Me.Email.Value & "', CreditCardDigit = " & Me.Ccrdnum.Value & ", CreditCardExpDate = #" & Me.ExpiryDate.Value & "# WHERE CustomerID = '" & Me.Cbodrop.Value & "';"

1588426660829.png

ive used MsgBox() to check all my values, they are all there which means the reference to the form field items are correct. i cant seem to find the error though ??
1588426774605.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:45
Put all that into a string variable and then Debug.Print it.

That will show you your errors.

Edit: You can leave off the .Value and save some typing. :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. You run the risk of running into troubles when you use special characters in your field names. Try enclosing [City/District] in square brackets. Hope that helps...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
ive used MsgBox() to check all my values, they are all there which means the reference to the form field items are correct. i cant seem to find the error though ??
I would beg to differ.? That just indicates they have values?

Is ContactNumber really a number?

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time

im a nub so lemme ask the most nubbish question, ...... how do i do that ?? the only way i kno of displaying a value thus far is to use MsgBox()

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time
I would beg to differ.? That just indicates they have values?

Is ContactNumber really a number?
dude, yes, didnt you see the screenshot of the table structure ?? i used msgbox to ensure my variables were not empty. any suggestions on how to solve the problem ??

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. You run the risk of running into troubles when you use special characters in your field names. Try enclosing [City/District] in square brackets. Hope that helps...
@theDBguy dude, hey wassup man. thanks for all the previous help and suggestions .... tired wat u suggested, and is the same problem

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time

left off the .Value aspects and the same error persisits...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
dude, yes, didnt you see the screenshot of the table structure ?? i used msgbox to ensure my variables were not empty. any suggestions on how to solve the problem ??
OK, should it be.? Is that meant to be a telephone number?, it which case it should be text.? Use numbers where you need to do calculations.

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time
OK, should it be.? Is that meant to be a telephone number?, it which case it should be text.? Use numbers where you need to do calculations.
Bro .... im tryna help someone with a problem, string would have been the ideal format, i know that. the INSERT worked fine, now im simply tryna resolve this UPDATE issue, do you have any suggestions for this particular issue ???

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Try
Code:
Dim strSQL as string

strSQL = "UPDATE CUSTOMERS SET Firstname = '" & Me.fname & "', Lastname = '" & Me.lname & "', PostalAddress = '" & Me.paddress & "'"
strSQL = strSQL & ", [City/District] = '" & Me.city & "', ContactNumber = " & Me.contact & ", RegistrationDate = #" & Me.datej & "#"
strSQL = strSQL & ", Gender = '" & Me.gender & "', DateofBirth = #" & Me.datofbirt & "#, MaritalStatus = '" & Me.Mstatus & "', Email = '" & Me.Email & "'"
strSQL = strSQL & ", CreditCardDigit = " & Me.Ccrdnum & ", CreditCardExpDate = #" & Me.ExpiryDate & "# WHERE CustomerID = '" & Me.Cbodrop & "';"

Debug.Print strSQL

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time
Try
Code:
Dim strSQL as string

strSQL = "UPDATE CUSTOMERS SET Firstname = '" & Me.fname & "', Lastname = '" & Me.lname & "', PostalAddress = '" & Me.paddress & "'"
strSQL = strSQL & ", [City/District] = '" & Me.city & "', ContactNumber = " & Me.contact & ", RegistrationDate = #" & Me.datej & "#"
strSQL = strSQL & ", Gender = '" & Me.gender & "', DateofBirth = #" & Me.datofbirt & "#, MaritalStatus = '" & Me.Mstatus & "', Email = '" & Me.Email & "'"
strSQL = strSQL & ", CreditCardDigit = " & Me.Ccrdnum & ", CreditCardExpDate = #" & Me.ExpiryDate & "# WHERE CustomerID = '" & Me.Cbodrop & "';"

Debug.Print strSQL
i tried this but nothing happened ... where would i see the printed stuff ?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Ctrl+G and look in the Immediate Window.

If you still canot recognise the error, copy and past the result back here.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:45
What I did was took your first query from your first post and applied some simple rules. You had a DoCmd.RunSQL "statement" construct where the statement was fairly complex. However, doing it that way allows the Access environment one last chance to supply values for everything into the string. (This is actually a GOOD thing.) It does so because VBA syntax "hides" the fact that you DoCmd line is REALLY running something that internally looks like...

Code:
    CALL DoCmd.RunSQL( SQLstatement, ...)

Since you have a complex string expression as the SQL statement, VBA is required by syntax rules to evaluate the expression and reduce it to a static string before passing it. All substitutions occur in the VBA environment because that is where that evaluation occurs. Normally, you don't think of it that way, but that is actually what is happening. VBA is just being "nice" about interpreting the statement. This implied CALL is what has to happen "behind the scenes" because of the way those DoCmd subroutines work.

Once the Access VBA environment is finished forming that string, it will pass it to the DB Engine, which probably in your case would be ACE, sitting there behind the scenes. In passing the string as an argument, it will strip out one layer of double-quotes. I have manually implemented the substitution to italicize what would have been presented. I did one other thing... I removed all of your .Value references because every one of them was superfluous. For anything that HAS a value, .Value is the default property.

This is what you would have passed to ACE.

Code:
UPDATE CUSTOMERS 
    SET 
        Firstname = '[I]Me.fname[/I]', 
        Lastname = '[I]Me.lname[/I]', 
        PostalAddress = '[I]Me.paddress[/I]', 
        City/District = '[I]Me.city[/I]', 
        ContactNumber =   [I]Me.contact[/I]  , 
        RegistrationDate = #[I]Me.datej[/I]#, 
        Gender = '[I]Me.gende[/I]r', 
        DateofBirth = #[I]Me.datofbirt[/I]#, 
        MaritalStatus = '[I]Me.Mstatus[/I]', 
        Email = '[I]Me.Email[/I]', 
        CreditCardDigit =   [I]Me.Ccrdnum[/I]  , 
        CreditCardExpDate = #[I]Me.ExpiryDate[/I]# 
    WHERE 
        CustomerID = '[I]Me.Cbodrop[/I]' ; 
[CODE]

Your error PROBABLY came from the City/District line because nothing else there is wrong, as far as I can tell.  In this context, you have a math operator (/} in the middle of the left-hand side of the assignment.  This is why you don't use special characters in names.  The fix, as has been noted by others, is to bracket that name.  I see no other syntax errors.  However, there is still a potential "gotcha" if ANY of the items enclosed in apostrophes (') could possibly CONTAIN an apostrophe or double-quote as legitimate data.  Because that would unbalance the quoting in the statement and that would SURELY trigger an error.

Gr3g0ry

Registered User.
Local time
What I did was took your first query from your first post and applied some simple rules. You had a DoCmd.RunSQL "statement" construct where the statement was fairly complex. However, doing it that way allows the Access environment one last chance to supply values for everything into the string. (This is actually a GOOD thing.) It does so because VBA syntax "hides" the fact that you DoCmd line is REALLY running something that internally looks like...

Code:
    CALL DoCmd.RunSQL( SQLstatement, ...)

Since you have a complex string expression as the SQL statement, VBA is required by syntax rules to evaluate the expression and reduce it to a static string before passing it. All substitutions occur in the VBA environment because that is where that evaluation occurs. Normally, you don't think of it that way, but that is actually what is happening. VBA is just being "nice" about interpreting the statement. This implied CALL is what has to happen "behind the scenes" because of the way those DoCmd subroutines work.

Once the Access VBA environment is finished forming that string, it will pass it to the DB Engine, which probably in your case would be ACE, sitting there behind the scenes. In passing the string as an argument, it will strip out one layer of double-quotes. I have manually implemented the substitution to italicize what would have been presented. I did one other thing... I removed all of your .Value references because every one of them was superfluous. For anything that HAS a value, .Value is the default property.

This is what you would have passed to ACE.

Code:
UPDATE CUSTOMERS
    SET
        Firstname = '[I]Me.fname[/I]',
        Lastname = '[I]Me.lname[/I]',
        PostalAddress = '[I]Me.paddress[/I]',
        City/District = '[I]Me.city[/I]',
        ContactNumber =   [I]Me.contact[/I]  ,
        RegistrationDate = #[I]Me.datej[/I]#,
        Gender = '[I]Me.gende[/I]r',
        DateofBirth = #[I]Me.datofbirt[/I]#,
        MaritalStatus = '[I]Me.Mstatus[/I]',
        Email = '[I]Me.Email[/I]',
        CreditCardDigit =   [I]Me.Ccrdnum[/I]  ,
        CreditCardExpDate = #[I]Me.ExpiryDate[/I]#
    WHERE
        CustomerID = '[I]Me.Cbodrop[/I]' ;
[CODE]

Your error PROBABLY came from the City/District line because nothing else there is wrong, as far as I can tell.  In this context, you have a math operator (/} in the middle of the left-hand side of the assignment.  This is why you don't use special characters in names.  The fix, as has been noted by others, is to bracket that name.  I see no other syntax errors.  However, there is still a potential "gotcha" if ANY of the items enclosed in apostrophes (') could possibly CONTAIN an apostrophe or double-quote as legitimate data.  Because that would unbalance the quoting in the statement and that would SURELY trigger an error.

Thanks very much .... i had done the [squarebracket] thing, earlier and i also removed the .Value. there was nothing wrong with the query syntax as u rightly said. the error was from a line directly beneath/after the query.

me.cusname.enabled =true

it had been commented out but became uncommented. and yeah i know that the syntax is rubbish :).
i stripped the module down to the bare essentials and its now working fine. thanks a sir. and thanks to every body who assisted. @theDBguy @Gasman and everybody else

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom