Here's something we can all agree on... (1 Viewer)

How crazy is scientology?

• Scientology isn't crazy. You are. Booga booga!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most of it is reasonable, with a sprinkling of craziness.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Bat-shit crazy.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Micheal Jackson on LSD watching Teletubbies crazy.

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:31
Scientology is really !^%@$ up.

For those of you who don't know much about this "religion", it is heralded as an alternative to psychology. They seem to rope you in with some reasonable ideas such as "society relies too heavily on medication to solve psychological problems" and:
Another basic tenet of Scientology is that there are three interrelated (and intrinsically spiritual) components that make up successful "livingness": affinity (emotional responses), reality (an agreement on what is real) and communication (the exchange of ideas). Hubbard called this the "ARC Triangle". Scientologists utilize ARC as a central organizing principle in their lives, primarily based upon the belief that improving one aspect of the triangle increases the level of the other two.

Then, once you're indoctrinated, they hit you with crap like:
Among these advanced teachings, one episode that is revealed to those who reach OT level III has been widely remarked upon in the press: the story of Xenu, the galactic tyrant who first kidnapped certain individuals who were deemed "excess population" and loaded these individuals into space planes for transport to the site of extermination, the planet of Teegeeack (Earth). These space planes were supposedly exact copies of Douglas DC-8s except with rocket engines. He then stacked hundreds of billions of these frozen victims around Earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago before blowing them up with hydrogen bombs and brainwashing them with a "three-D, super colossal motion picture" for 36 days, telling them lies of what they are and what the universe should be like and telling them that they are 3 different things: 'Jesus, God, and The Devil.' The traumatized thetans subsequently clustered around human bodies because they watched the motion picture together, making them think they are all the same thing, in effect acting as invisible spiritual parasites known as "body thetans" that can only be removed using advanced Scientology techniques. Xenu is allegedly imprisoned in a mountain by a force field powered by an eternal battery. He is said to be still alive today.

WTF?

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Kraj,

I'm at work now so I doubt I will be able to find it, but I will have a look when I get home.

There is a book published freely on the internet by someone who used to be very high up in Scientology and got out just in the nick of time. Its quite long, but makes for *fascinating* reading. For anyone thinking of setting up a cult, this is your first textbook! ;-)

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like what it is, a cult, just like The Book of Mormon.

After all, Tom Cruise believes in it, so it must be CRAP !!!!

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:31
Friday said:
Sounds like what it is, a cult, just like The Book of Mormon.

After all, Tom Cruise believes in it, so it must be CRAP !!!!

Yet most all religions begin as a cult, including Christianity, where cult means a small, not-so popular religion, and where religion means an organization of people who follow, always imperfectly, a belief system, and a mythology -- usually supernatural (there's often one or more "Sky Gods" in the mix) -- and a moral code, and who regularly perform various rituals to tighten the bonds of the group. The question often boils down to whether one religion is better than the other. Unanswerable, really -- but people will take their sides, sometimes with a vengeance.

Of course there are many others who will classify themselves as "non-religious." They are usually at odds with the mythology (they can't accept it since it's improvable and supernatural) or with the ritual (they feel it's trivial and a kind of brainwashing), or with the hypocrites, the religious members who espouse a moral code but don't live by it.

One thing is more or less certain: it's Saturday.

Regards,
Tim

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 16:31
I don't get it. Why is scientology so much harder to believe than Christianity or Greek and Roman mythology for that matter?

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Vassago said:
I don't get it. Why is scientology so much harder to believe than Christianity or Greek and Roman mythology for that matter?

It isn't. They are all really difficult to believe...:D

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Well, I would have answered «Micheal Jackson on LSD watching Teletubbies crazy» even if the question was about Christianity, Greek or Roman mythologies.

Eve coming from Adam's rib, Mary giving birth while being a virgin, Hercules tasks, Râ giving birth by himself to the other gods while his tears creates the human race or that mayan god (name???) who cut his penis so that each blood drops would create every human on Earth.

Those are nice stories, but they are as credible as Martians or Santa Clause.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Newman said:
Those are nice stories, but they are as credible as Martians or Santa Clause.

What? No, please say it isn't so. We all know they are out there. In fact, once upon a time you said you were abducted by Martians.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
There is absolutly no life on Mars. OK!:mad:
They were from one of Jupiter's moon.:D

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Newman said:
There is absolutly no life on Mars. OK!:mad:
They were from one of Jupiter's moon.:D

As the our definition of life expands I think we may find many life forms in many places we had no idea of before.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Yes, there is life forms outside the USA.:p ;)

R

Rich

jsanders said:
As the our definition of life expands I think we may find many life forms in many places we had no idea of before.
Life in the form of microbes exists throughout the universe, that's where we evolved from

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
But who or what owns the petri dish?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Life in the form of microbes exists throughout the universe, that's where we evolved from
I wasn’t necessarily talking about carbon based life.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
arn't they still searching the White House (unsuccessfully) for any intelligent life?

Did anyone see GWB on prime time US telly last night? what a prat - he's trying to convince the US people that the war must go on in Iraq - sod the 2000+ US soldiers dead, sod the billions $$$$$$$ spent, sod the 20,000+ Iraqis dead. I can't remember when I last saw such a bad display of a "leader" trying to justify their decisions - he was such an amateur:rolleyes:

I reckon he's turned more against him after that effort.

Col

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
jsanders said:
Rich said:
Life in the form of microbes exists throughout the universe, that's where we evolved from.

I wasn’t necessarily talking about carbon based life.

As far as i am aware there has been no life found outside of Earth's atmosphere. One theory of life developing on Earth is amino acid or even microbial or viral seeding from comets. There have been well documented cases of microbes surviving for years in satellites with little or no protection from solar radiation and no atmosphere as well as comets containing complex hydrocarbons so at least the method of transfer is sound. However the obvious question is where did the comets get their hitchhikers from in the first place under what conditions did those molecules or microbes come into being.

One experiment - the Miller-Urey experiment - goes some way to showing how this might have happened here on Earth - or any other planet with the right conditions. The experiment shows that if you have a combination of gases and apply an abrupt electricial discharge - to mimick lightening - you can produce complex organic molecules that are the precursors to life.
The composition of gases attempts to match those at the begining of the development of Earth.
There have been a number of doubts raised about the composition of gases used in the experiment but the latest work suggest the original hypothesis is still valid. Even if the composition is incorrect it still proves that a particular combination of gases will produce the precursors to life, if that did not happen here then it quite probably did somewhere.

http://www.answers.com/topic/miller-urey-experiment

TS

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Many millions years ago peaople from another planet nuke themself and while their planet explode, particule of themself travelled in space and landed on Earth.
Reminds me that one of the human's dreams is to explore some other universes.
Solution: We got to nuke ourselves 'till Earth explode.

(I hope GWB doesn't read this forum. He might as well take my joke for a thruth and start a nuclear war just to see if it works.)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Newman said:
Reminds me that one of the human's dreams is to explore some other universes.
Thats NASA's dream, not many people I know give a toss about it - most consider it a waste of time and money

Newman said:
Solution: We got to nuke ourselves 'till Earth explode.

(I hope GWB doesn't read this forum. He might as well take my joke for a thruth and start a nuclear war just to see if it works.)
GWB doesn't need to read it - he'll do it anyway given time, then that'll knock the earth off its axis then all these little squabbles with different countries and religions will pale into insignificance as we all freeze to death.:D

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom