Hide Design Stuff - Open Query - Provide Preview - BOOM! (1 Viewer)

dazza61

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:16
Hi guys,

A general question so decided to post here...

What's the best way of allowing users to see a DoCmd.OpenQuery routine, securely without having access to stuff they shouldn't have? My reason for using this view is because it's dynamic and changes as the data changes...

One problem I've found is there's no menus/toolbars to perform actions on this style of view...because it ISN'T a form...

And if you solve this by "Allowing Full Menus", etc at certain times - you can provide access to menus you don't want to be seen....

A particular problem lies with Maximise and Print Preview options (run from customised menus) - I've found if I secure all the design stuff users can lock themselves out in a Preview view and/or a Maximised view with no close buttons to close the view they are in...

A bit waffly but has anyone encountered this kind of problem and if so can you point me in the right direction or show me the best approach to this?

Many thanks in advance...

Darren

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 01:16
Frankly, I don't give users access to queries or tables. I create forms to display the queries or tables (you can set the form to be a datasheet so it LOOKS like a query or table and then you have control - events, etc.).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:16
My users see two things; forms and reports. Never a table or query. If you're describing a crosstab query in which the fields change, I and others use code in the open event of a report to match up the controls in the report to the fields in the query.

dazza61

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:16
Thanks Bob and Paul,

Jeeeez, you two are quick off the mark - I'd only just clicked on "Submit" - many thanks for your replies...

In 3 years of development I've never needed to use this style of view and I don't want to now - just one day a director looked over my shoulder and said "we need THAT!!!!" - **smiles**

And yes Paul, its a cross tab thing - employees with skill sets that they get certificates for and some have expiration dates...

So I'll go with both of your approaches and NOT provide these views - I got a big shock when someone opened one of the databases the other day and had all menus at startup (even though when they logged on I shut them out again).....I've NEVER allowed access to this and I don't intend to now...

Once again, thanks to both of you for your valuable input - it's really appreciated.

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom