Horizontal Option Group (1 Viewer)

David44Coder

Local time
Today, 23:05
Is this really possible? I read online it was easy and you just resize the borders
But (Access 2019) doesn't seem to work.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:05
Can arrange controls however you want.

Resize the option frame and move the radio buttons or checkboxes.

Why would it not work in 2019. Exactly how did you try?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:05
If you cannot reshape the option frame, see if you have a layout frame around the option frame. Layout frames often get in the way of resizing. (One reason why I always turn off the layout option.)

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Good point, Doc. But just where do you turn off the layout option?

If you use the form and report design wizards, they set controls in layout groups. If you then add the option group it might be embedded within layout group. Select all the controls then right click over any control > Layout > Remove layout.

David44Coder

Local time
I drag the control onto the Form and enter the wizards options
There's 3 radio buttons and it places them vertically, with a orange coloued frame.
There are resize handles but if I try to change height, they revert back to where they were. It will allow width changes.
I can change the height via property sheet, but then I'd need to adjust all the buttons and labels
I want the 3 radio buttons horizontally aligned, instead of vertical.
Not sure if I have layout view on or off, possible off as selecting it from the r-click menu says it's unavailable.
Is there an easy way, or must each control be done manually?

David44Coder

Local time
I kind of have it now, so unless there is a auto-method pse ignore me.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
If you have controls selected, the right click menu should show Layout options of either Stacked/Tabular or Remove Layout. So you can either apply or remove layout. I have no idea how to disable Layout menu item.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:05
Just to clarify - are you editing your form in design view or layout view? You need to be in design view

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:05
This definitely sounds like it could be layout. To manage layout, you have a couple of options. One is to directly manipulate cells in the layout, but that may or may not be easy, depending on other controls in the same layout.

Another option is to merge adjacent cells. Again, it's specific to each situation and what is in adjacent cells, or if they are empty. However, this approach is one that I like when it is possible. "orane" ==> "orange".
1657974842832.png

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:05
Is there an easy way, or must each control be done manually?
You must drag each control & its label manually

The size of radio buttons (and checkboxes) cannot be altered.
Although you can enlarge the 'rectangle' they are contained in, the control itself doesn't resize

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:05
Good point, Doc. But just where do you turn off the layout option?

If you use the form and report design wizards, they set controls in layout groups. If you then add the option group it might be embedded within layout group. Select all the controls then right click over any control > Layout > Remove layout.

Under File >> Options >> Current Database >> Application Options, there is a checkbox of "Enable Layout View" in the lower third of that option list (for Ac 2010.) I keep that unchecked for any new project.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Under File >> Options >> Current Database >> Application Options, there is a checkbox of "Enable Layout View" in the lower third of that option list (for Ac 2010.) I keep that unchecked for any new project.
I generally like to use Layout in the initial stages of designing new forms and reports because it helps maintain a consistent row and column position for controls until I am sure how I want to display things. Once I get to a more advanced stage, I do remove it more often than not. It's sort of like training wheels, in a sense, I suppose.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
This definitely sounds like it could be layout. To manage layout, you have a couple of options. One is to directly manipulate cells in the layout, but that may or may not be easy, depending on other controls in the same layout.

Another option is to merge adjacent cells. Again, it's specific to each situation and what is in adjacent cells, or if they are empty. However, this approach is one that I like when it is possible. "orane" ==> "orange".
View attachment 101834
By the way, this grid illustrates one of the things I mentioned. Note that the picture cell is the size of two other cells in height. That's because I merged the two original cells to make the image larger. You could do that with the cells containing an option group (assuming a layout grid what you have), to make it possible to change the layout of controls within the option group.

Also, the three lower cells on the left are empty. They are always there, taking up space, but don't show anything in form view. That can be tricky in a different way. You either use them or place new controls below the full grid.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
@The_Doc_Man, unchecking Enable Layout View does not prevent layout grouping by design wizards, it just prevents layout view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom