House Purchasing (1 Viewer)

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Yesterday, 20:19
Is it just me, or is the whole house hunting/purchasing process really bad for your health? My girlfriend and I are looking for our first house and we just put in an offer on one an hour ago. I've been literally sick to my stomach all day (nervousness really gets to me) and my mind has been a mess since we started looking. Man, this is horrible. :(

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 21:19
Good News and Bad News:

Bad News - it won't get any better til you hear if you got it.

Good News - your second house will be a lot easier on your health.

To feel really rotton watch "Holmes on Homes" on HGTV Thursday nights.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Oh I know about Holmes on Homes, my girlfriend loves her HGTV.

I think I just needed to vent a bit. Thanks for the reply.

KenHigg

Local time
If you're considering a home of your own you'll need to consider a few other items you'll need to purchase...

1. A lawn mower
2. A weed eater
3. Rakes, shovels, etc
4. Paint, rollers, brushes, etc
5. Hammers, nails, screwdrivers, etc
6. Garden hoses, gardening tools, etc
7. Window washing supplies
8. Garbage cans, etc
. etc
. etc
. etc
:)

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:19
KenHigg said:
If you're considering a home of your own you'll need to consider a few other items you'll need to purchase...

1. A lawn mower
2. A weed eater
3. Rakes, shovels, etc
8. Garbage cans, etc
. etc
. etc
. etc

You can reduce that list considerably if you pruchase an appartment :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 02:19
KenHigg said:

1. A lawn mower
2. A weed eater
3. Rakes, shovels, etc
8. Garbage cans, etc
. etc
. etc
. etc
Forget that list - pay someone to do it:rolleyes:

Col

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
Forget that list - pay someone to do it:rolleyes:

Col
No I think a wife deserves the best tools to enable her to function properly:cool:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
No I think a wife deserves the best tools to enable her to function properly:cool:
True, but being a gentleman, I do my bit.

I pay people to do things on Kens list so the little lady can concentrate on homely things, like cooking, cleaning, doing the washing, supermarket shopping. Oh and making sure she gets things done before the footy starts - can't have the Hoover going whilst the footy is on.:rolleyes:

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Matty said:
Is it just me, or is the whole house hunting/purchasing process really bad for your health?
Yes

My girlfriend and I are looking for our first house and we just put in an offer on one an hour ago. (
Get an agreement signed on what to do with the house when (if) you split up. Or she'll end up with the lot:rolleyes:

Col

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I pay people to do things on Kens list so the little lady can concentrate on homely things, like cooking, cleaning, doing the washing, supermarket shopping. Oh and making sure she gets things done before the footy starts - can't have the Hoover going whilst the footy is on.:rolleyes:

Col

I concentrate on the wife having enough to do so that she stays out of the kitchen so that I can cook :D :D :D

Never buy tools that re really good otherwise the jobs will be done too quickly and she will get into other areas like kitchen and that may not be too good.

Putting the offer in and getting accepted is the easy bit. Just wait and see

L

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Len Boorman said:
I concentrate on the wife having enough to do so that she stays out of the kitchen so that I can cook :D :D :D
True, but our area is blessed with many takeaways (Indian, Chinky, chip shops etc) Then 'er indoors can keep my motorbike nice and clean whilst I watch the footy.

Putting the offer in and getting accepted is the easy bit. Just wait and see
Don't tell him Len;) its all part of the learning curve:D

Col

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
ColinEssex said:
True, but our area is blessed with many takeaways (Indian, Chinky, chip shops etc) Then 'er indoors can keep my motorbike nice and clean whilst I watch the footy.

Don't tell him Len;) its all part of the learning curve:D

Col

Matty

Its all okay, just relax, you are getting too concerned, buying a house is a doddle, leave it to the Estate Agents and solicitors

L

KenHigg

Local time
Len Boorman said:
Matty

Its all okay, just relax, you are getting too concerned, buying a house is a doddle, leave it to the Estate Agents and solicitors

L

Who all want their cut...:rolleyes:

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
...and when you finally finish signing your life away on the endless mountain of paperwork at the closing and manage to immobilize your now arthritic writing hand to heal from said signings, do NOT look at the amortization schedule they are obligated to give you, you'll have an aneurysm on the spot and you head will explode...:D

(see the Marital Discord thread for advice on Mortgage Insurance:eek: )

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Thanks for the replies. We didn't get the house, so we're still looking. We're both looking to get out of this apartment, since we're tired of paying rent (the place is a bit of a dump as well).

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Shopping for real estate is a wonderful thing!
I admit that finding the perfect home takes a lot of time and energy, but you just have to be patient. Don't take anything less than what you really want! When we were looking for our first home (which is still our home) we looked at dozens of houses. My husband was very close to convincing me to buy a 3 bedroom, newly built home in a decent area. I didn't like the idea of the girls having to share a room for the rest of their lives with mom and dad.... so I convinced him to let us keep looking.

We finally found an existing home, 4 bedroom, split plan in an even better neighborhood for about $10k less than the brand new 3 bedroom. We loved it, bought it, and STILL love it.

I still enjoy looking for real estate and seeing what's available. Last year, we bought a lot 2.74 acres, in Stone Mountain, Georgia that, before we even signed the papers, had appreciated in value and is worth twice what we paid for it! Maybe some day we'll build something there as a second home, or maybe we'll keep it and sell it for much more when we retire and want to use the value of the property for something else. Like the luxury of eating in our old age.... ;)

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
When I bought my first home (the one I am still living in), it was definitely a learning experience. But I had my dad (who had built homes for a living when he was in college) and a really great real estate agent (who I went to highschool with) to help me. My real estate agent gave me a list of homes in my price range and said, "Here - goo look around and let me know which ones you want to look at." I picked them out, and we took one day and looked at about 3 or 4 of them, and I fell in love with my house that day. It was much easier than most people experience, because the owner was dead, and her kids just wanted to unload it. I got it for a great deal, and didn't have to deal with contingencies, and other people moving out, and all that crap. But now that I have a baby, and need room and storage, it is just getting smaller and smaller by the day. I keep looking around, but I can't afford anything right now, unless I get the plum job with the major paycheck.

Lisa

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
KenHigg said:

1. A lawn mower
2. A weed eater
3. Rakes, shovels, etc
8. Garbage cans, etc
. etc
. etc
. etc

You forgot to mention the fridge. We had to buy one when we moved into our house, but fortunately we moved in December and my m-i-l went in halfsies with us for our Christmas gift that year.

We've been in our house for 6 years now, and like Lisa, since we had our youngun a couple of years ago our house has gotten smaller and smaller since then. :rolleyes:

We're looking for a bigger one now, so I can sympathise. Like someone else said though, it doesn't seem as bad this time as it did last time. Perhaps because I don't feel the same sense of urgency...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom