How to? - Auto populate 'text boxes' with values from selection made from another field. (1 Viewer)

NRGZ

Local time
Today, 18:04
Hi,
New to the forums and its been a while since i did any Access stuff but for the life of me i cant seem to find a solution , for what i believe is a simple issue.

I have an excel workbook that holds the value choice for the drop down box and what i would like it to do is populate 2 other fields in the table based on the selection made.
Workbook - 3 columns - Account number, Company Name, Postcode
(this workbook is static information)

Table - Account Code (drop down box) - Company Name - Postcode

Account Number is the drop-down and i'd like it to populate the corresponding Company/Postcode with the values from the columns next to it in the excel worksheet.

Thanks in advance,
o/

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Bring all the data into the combo, then in the AfterUpdate of the combo
Code:
Me.Company = Me.Account.Column(1)
Me.Postcode = Me.Account.Column(2)

NRGZ

Local time
Bring all the data into the combo, then in the AfterUpdate of the combo
Code:
Me.Company = Me.Account.Column(1)
Me.Postcode = Me.Account.Column(2)
Gasman,

That works but i cant seem to get the POSTCODE to show although i'm pretty sure its column 2. Is there anyway to see what my 'variable' account_code contains/returns?

Thanks.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:04
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Is this in Excel? Maybe the column index is zero-based, like in Access. So, the first column is referenced as Column(0).

NRGZ

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Is this in Excel? Maybe the column index is zero-based, like in Access. So, the first column is referenced as Column(0).
The COMBO BOX does retrieve its values from excel workbook/s so yes column(0) is the ACCOUNT CODE but although i understand the coding,
Code:
Private Sub Account_Code_AfterUpdate()

Me.Company_Name = Me.Account_Code.Column(1)
Me.Postcode = Me.Account_Code.Column(2)

End Sub
i'd like to see what ACCOUNT_CODE is/encompasses.

NRGZ

Local time
Thats what i'm trying to do, I know that ACCOUNT_CODE is valid but i cant seem to find what its dimension are...?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
In your combo Unhide the first column, make the colunm widths 2;2;2 and set the last width to 6

NRGZ

Local time
In your combo Unhide the first column, make the colunm widths 2;2;2 and set the last width to 6
Is that in the PROPERTY SHEET for the combo box? if so i cant see an 'unhide' option.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:04
check the Column Widths property of the combobox.
if the first column is 0, change its value to anything except 0.

NRGZ

Local time
OK, so if i'm in the right place it was 'blank' but i have changed it to 1 (which = 1cm)
prop sheet 090821.jpg

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Your column count is 1, needs to be 3. Also show SQL for the combo, whichyou dot appear to have??

NRGZ

Local time
Yes that worked. It now shows 3 columns for the dropdown (even though1 would be better....) and now populates the POSTCODE field. Very odd and i changed COLUMN WIDTH back to 'blank' and it formats the columns alot better.
just odd solution is all but hey ho!

Thanks to EVERYONE who helped.
o/

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Normally, you will only show the column(s) you want, so if you had an autonumber in that table, mine would be
0;2.54;0;0
as the data would be AccountID,AccountName,CompanyName,CompPostCode as I only want to show the Account Name

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom