How to control multiple databases from one 'master' database? (1 Viewer)

raggajunglist

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:57
Hi all, i hope this is posted in the right place first of all :) apologies if not..

I have about 8 individual databases which will be used simultaneously by users. I wish to be able to have full control over these databases from a 'master database' including being able to delete the data in there (possibly import fresh data but not 100% needed) and export data to be analysed in Excel etc
I figure this can be done with access but if i'm on the totally wrong track i would be appreciative if someone could give me a push in the right direction..

If any more infomation is needed then let me know.

Mikey

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:57
I have a question:

These 8 individuhal databases are the same or are the completely different from eachother? How do they relate to eachother? Are they FE/BE databases? Look on this forum if you don't know what they are. Can users change/add data? Local databases or on a network? Daily changes or sporadically? Do you want 1 database to rule them all?

:D

raggajunglist

Registered User.
Local time
Hey Guus2005 thanks for the reply,
They are eight completely identical dbs except for the tblMaster has each persons name after it eg. tblMasterJimbo
They don't relate to each other at all and they don't need to (i don't think), user will be adding to records (they are automatically imported each morning) these will be happening throughout the day at regular intervals (every couple of minutes for each user)
Its on a network but a local one with the path of the databases being the same (R:/SharedDrive/Database/jimsdatabase.mdb)
Yes basically, one admin database to rule all the inferior user ones :D
Thanks again

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:57
create an empty db and link all the tables from all the dbs. Where a name of a table conflicts with an existing name a numeric will be appended to the end of the filename to ensure each name is unique.

raggajunglist

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the replies guys, im off home now Dennisk so will try out your idea Monday morning :)

raggajunglist

Registered User.
Local time
Hey guys, tried out the linking many tables into one master database, however do you have an idea of what sort of thing i should be doing? it would be preferrable to have all of the infomation in one table rather than 16. If i can get all the info into one table i can start writing queries to delete and append all the data at once rather than table by table.
hope this makes sense, let me know if anymore info is needed.

Mike

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:57
If you want to try dennisk's solution you don't need to put everything in a single table. You can use a query and union them all together.
However if you can be certain that every record (key) is unique you can put them all into a single table. If not you could add a field to make it unique. For instance a GUID field. I always use them in my tables when i have to consolidate databases.

virgosam20

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:57
Hi guys,
Interesting thread. Can I ask what a GUID field i as i think it may help with my issue..

regards,

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom