How to declare a range object with late binding (1 Viewer)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 19:05
I have run into a question where I have used late binding with some Excel exporting. I am creating a function to do formatting and, in the past, have done Early binding so that in a criteria for a function I could use a range object. But, I need to go with late binding and I'm not sure how to substitute this.

Anyone have an idea how to substitute the part in Red using late binding:

Code:
Public Function SetFormat(rng As [color=red]Range[/color])
     With rng
          .FontSize = 14
          .Font.Bold = True
          .Font.Color = vbRed
     End With
End Function

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Allan:

I know about late binding, and in fact that is my problem. I am doing so, but I want to make my functions more reusable, so I want to be able to call that format function from another function. The problem lies in that I don't know how to convert it to late binding and use the

Public Function SetFormat(rng As Range)

part in red as a parameter passed from another function. It is EASY to do as shown IF I use EARLY binding. But I don't want to use early binding, I want to use LATE binding. So, I run into a compile error if I use rng As Range because without early binding Access doesn't have a clue about RANGE.

So my question actually is how can I still do what I'm doing with late binding? What substitute for rng As Range do I make? Do I use rng As Object and if I do, how do I instantiate it because it needs instantiation before it can receive the passed parameter from wherever it is being called from. That is my dilemma.

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:05
This works in Excel...

Code:
Public Sub Start()
Dim rng As Range
    Set rng = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:B2")
    SetFormat rng
End Sub

Public Sub SetFormat(rng As Object)
     With rng
          rng.Font.Size = 14
          rng.Font.Bold = True
          rng.Font.Color = vbRed
     End With
End Sub

Obviously if you are using Access you need a reference to the Excel Object Liberary

Don't know if you cut & paste that code but it should read 'Font.Size' and not 'FontSize' ...

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
cleaned up...

Code:
Public Sub SetFormat(rng As Object)
     With rng.Font
          .Size = 14
          .Bold = True
          .Color = vbRed
     End With
End Sub

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
Of course it's best to avoid late binding if possible so you could try this...

Code:
Public Sub Start()
Dim fnt As Font
    Set fnt = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:B2").Font
    SetFormat fnt
End Sub

Public Sub SetFormat(fnt As Font)
     With fnt
          .Size = 14
          .Bold = True
          .Color = vbRed
     End With
End Sub

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:05
Bob:
I would think that once you have loaded the users available Excel library with a late binding sequence, that the code you are currently using would work. You just need startup code that loads the library before you try and use the Range function. I'll admit I haven't tried it but it makes sense to me.
!Blue:
Why do you feel we should avoid Late Binding if possible?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Bob:
I would think that once you have loaded the users available Excel library with a late binding sequence, that the code you are currently using would work. You just need startup code that loads the library before you try and use the Range function. I'll admit I haven't tried it but it makes sense to me.
It gives a compile error of undefined function when you use it like that.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmmm...
Does this work?
Public Function SetFormat(rng As Variant)
...or maybe
Public Function SetFormat(rng As Object)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Hmmm...
Does this work?
Public Function SetFormat(rng As Variant)
...or maybe
Public Function SetFormat(rng As Object)

Actually, I have to admit, I had thought rng As Object wouldn't work. But it does.

!Blue

Registered User.
Local time
Main reasons for favouring early binding are:
  • The compiler has a better chance of picking up any coding errors
  • The code executes more efficiently

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Bob:
Taa Daa. Excellent.
IBlue:
You can use #IF...#ELSE...#END IF to switch between Early and Late binding for development.

LPurvis

AWF VIP
Local time
The performance argument against late binding has largely been declared irrelevant these days. There are real advantages to adopting it. IMO Access solutions are difficult enough to deploy. Anything we can do to ease the reference dependency is often a good thing.
(It's much less of an issue for those working in a predictable, corporate environment).

I consider the one requirement for whether binding isn't negotiable to be whenever Event Sinking will be required in your classes.

Conditional compilation can indeed help between early and late as Allan mentions.
However it's a pain to include in each of your procedures.
But you can abstract that effort away from the individual procedures a bit - depending upon who far you're willing to go.
For example you could start writing your own classes to wrap the functionality of the OM you're intending to work with. Then you have only those standard locations to change.
Obviously most would balk at the prospect of recreating an OM - and I'd agree.
But it could be worthwhile - particularly for a reason, such as to bring together the similar methods for DAO and ADO - with the ability to trivially switch between the wo.
More likely though - it's worth just wrapping a few of the very most commonly called methods.

A couple of examples I just mentioned over at UA are
CurrentDb
Code:
Private mDb As DAO.Database

Function fCurrentDB() As DAO.Database
On Error Resume Next

Set fCurrentDB = mDb
    If fCurrentDB Is Nothing Then
        Set mDb = CurrentDb
        Set fCurrentDB = mDb
    End If

End Function

OpenRecordset
Code:
Public Enum ddDAORst
    TypeTable = 1
    TypeDynaset = 2
    TypeSnapshot = 4
End Enum

Public Function fOpenRecordset(pstrSQL As String, Optional pType As ddDAORst = TypeDynaset, Optional pOption = Null) As DAO.Recordset
On Error GoTo errHere

Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Set rst = fCurrentDB.OpenRecordset(pstrSQL, pType)
    Set fOpenRecordset = rst

ExitHere:
    Set rst = Nothing
    Exit Function

errHere:
    'fErrFullText Err, Err.Description, "fOpenRecordset"
    Resume ExitHere
End Function

If you refer to your own locally running fCurrentDb instance in your application instead of CurrentDb - then it's trivial to switch that one location over to late binding at the end.

Personally - though it's one of the biggest culprits as a reference for becoming de-registered for your application (and hence causing the standard reference problems) - DAO isn't atop my list for removing as a reference.
Things like the FSO library, Regular Expressions and Office applications (if you don't need to sink those events!!) are better candidates.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom