How to determine size of tables, forms etc in Front End database (1 Viewer)

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:13
G'day,
I have built a multiuser, database over many years and split it into Front-end and Back end data bases.
The backend is currently 68Kb and the front end is 220KB.
I have compacted both Front end and back end databases weekly and it is stable.
However I think the front end should probably be smaller.
Is there a tool or report that enables me to determine the size in Kb for each table, query, form and report so that I can look at migrating more to the back end database?
Thanks in advance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:43
Hi. You might be worrying about nothing. Besides, you should only have tables in the backend. All other objects should be in the frontend. You have a maximum of 2GB for the file size.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:43
Agreed. 220kb is a drop in the ocean.
Advise not to c/r regularly but only at some predetermined size and then only after performing a backup of the back end. You can set that size in code that runs when db or a hidden form closes.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I feel this thread warrants me posting for no reason other than to emphasize what dbGuy already said. I agree with it - the current sizes of your FE and BE are tiny - seriously you have nothing to worry about - these seem very, very small.
And no matter what happens, you should keep nothing but tables in the back end.

But, if I remember right, StriveforPeace has a lot of tools like this (I think it is her if I remember right).
Yes, here I found it now: (check out Analyzer). http://msaccessgurus.com/tools.htm

Edit - I was too slow :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:43
As the minimum size of an Access ACCDB database is around 440kB (slightly less for MDB), I'm wondering whether you actually meant 68MB and 220MB

To reiterate what others are saying, forms, reports and queries take up almost no space.
You can get an approximate size of the tables using this example app https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/table-size-analysis.306631/

If you just want data on the numbers of each type of object in your database, see http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/database-statistics/4594424201

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:43
As the minimum size of an Access ACCDB database is around 440kB...
I didn't know that. Always started creating objects soon as I created a new db. However, being curious, I just created a blank db using Access 365. Size is 336KB. Wonder if Access version makes a difference. Anyway, as pointed out by all respondents, it's inconsequential.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I didn't know that. Always started creating objects soon as I created a new db. However, being curious, I just created a blank db using Access 365. Size is 336KB. Wonder if Access version makes a difference. Anyway, as pointed out by all respondents, it's inconsequential.
I didn't know that either, and tested it out when I saw Isladog's post. Sure enough it was in the low 400's. Close enough. Interesting thing

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:43

The minimum size is due to all the system tables created automatically and so, yes it does depend on Access version.
The info below is an extract from my Web article: Purpose of System Tables
1595272504682.png

As you can see, I agree with your initial file size but 440kB is typical for a new database with no data before compacting.

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:13
Hi Isladogs,
Thanks for the feedback. I double checked and the figures I quoted were Mbytes not Kbytes.
Apologies for the confusion but I was writing the note at about midnight last night.
I will followup on the suggestions that you and others have made!
Cheers
HB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom