How to unselect a dropdown in the Ribbon (2 Viewers)

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 02:54
NW2 Dev Edition has a ribbon with a dropdown showing MRU items. I'm re-using that concept in my own app.
When you drop it down and select the same item as is already selected, the Change event does not happen; no event happens whatsoever.
If it was a textbox, you could Invalidate the control and set it to "", so the same value can be entered again, but no such luck with a dropdown.
I tried returning Null or -1 or nothing at all from the GetSelectedItemIndex callback, but the first two result in errors, the third does not help (first item is selected).
Is there indeed no way to re-select the same item and respond to that action? Not even a slimy hack?

1710797592454.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:54
I've never had a reason to do this but how about first clearing the existing entry on before update?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:54
Oops. That falls into the category of the last sentence in my signature line. :rolleyes:

So I asked CoPilot which told me:

Clearing a dropdown in the ribbon using VBA can be achieved through different approaches. Let’s explore a couple of methods:

1. Using Callbacks in Custom Ribbon XML:
    • If you have a custom ribbon with a dropdown, you can add a callback to clear the selected item. Here’s an example:
      ' Add the following callback in your VBA code:
      Sub CallbackDDGetSelectedItemID(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef itemID)
      ' Callback to get the selected item for the dropdown control
      Select Case control.ID
      Case "myDropDown" ' Replace with your actual dropdown ID
      itemID = "" ' Clear the selected item
      End Select
      End Sub

' Then call this in the dropdown's OnAction event:
      objRibbon.InvalidateControl("myDropDown")

• Replace "myDropDown" with the actual ID of your dropdown. This approach invalidates the control, effectively clearing the selection 1.
  2. Direct Access to Ribbon Element Values:
    • If you want to access the dropdown element values directly, you can use callbacks like GetSelectedItemIndex, GetItemLabel, and GetItemID. For instance:
      Sub GetSelectedItemIndex(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef returnedVal)
      ' Returns the index position of the selected item from the dropdown control
      If control.ID = "Drop" Then
      MsgBox returnedVal
      End If
      End Sub

Sub GetItemLabel(control As IRibbonControl, Index As Integer, ByRef returnedVal)
      ' Returns the label of the selected item from a ribbon dropdown control
      ' Implement similar logic for GetItemID
      ' ...
      End Sub

• You can pass a control object from one callback to another, manually invoking these procedures 2.

Anything of use there? Or is that equally useless?

tvanstiphout

Local time
Plausible, but did not work. Returning Null or "" or -1 from GetSelectedItemID callback gives the same error as when using GetSelectedItemIndex: The callback "..." returned a value that could not be converted to the expected type.
or
The callback "..." returned an invalid value.
I'm thinking of a workaround of adding "--- Select a value ---" to the dropdown, and have it at Index=0.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Plausible, but did not work. Returning Null or "" or -1 from GetSelectedItemID callback gives the same error as when using GetSelectedItemIndex: The callback "..." returned a value that could not be converted to the expected type.
or
The callback "..." returned an invalid value.
I'm thinking of a workaround of adding "--- Select a value ---" to the dropdown, and have it at Index=0.
I have used a method similar to that in Access combo boxes. But I tend to be lazy, so there's that to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom