How to use the random function (1 Viewer)

giffordr82

Local time
Today, 04:45
Hi Guys, Im completely new to this forum and the only reason I found it was because I put a search in on how to use the random function to randomly select letters and it brought up this post..

I have no clue with VBA and have tried a few times to use the random function but to no avail.. Soooo.. Can someone help me with an idea I have please?

What I need is to be able to use access to enter a few teams, and then against each team generate 7 letters..

Basically I will be using this to make a random generator for a game of scrabble..

I help run a pub quiz and at present we use the standard scrabble letters you get in the game and get each team to select their seven letters from a bag as you would normally. This issue is you can guarantee that pieces get lost, so was hoping to do it this way.. We have the use of an overhead projector so was going to show it generate the letters against each team on the big screen so teams can see their letter selections..

So far I have created 2 tables .. 1 to store the teams in and the other to hold the letters, the number of letters that each letter has and then a value field (As with the Scrabble game)..
(At the bottom I have listed the letters and amounts so you are aware)..
What I then wanted to do was have a screen that lists the teams and to the right of each team the 7 spaces for the random letters to appear in.. What would be really nice is if it could somehow show the letters scrolling through for say 15 seconds in each tile and then 1 by 1 display the 7 letters selected for that team..

Any VBA whizzes out there that can explain how I do this or even be so nice as to supply the code for me as I don't have a clue :-:)banghead:
English-language editions of Scrabble contain 100 letter tiles, in the following distribution:

2 blank tiles (scoring 0 points)
1 point: E ×12, A ×9, I ×9, O ×8, R ×6, N ×6, T ×6, L ×4, S ×4 U ×4
2 points: D ×4, G ×3
3 points: B ×2, C ×2, M ×2, P ×2
4 points: F ×2, H ×2, V ×2, W ×2, Y ×2
5 points: K ×1
8 points: J ×1, X ×1
10 points: Q ×1, Z ×1

Thanks all really appreciate any help given..

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I find it pays to search the Internet a bit with this sort of Project, you never know what you will find that can give you a leg up.

I did a quick search for "VBA" and "Scrabble" and found this interesting YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA1w9W5kl80 How to Make Scrabble in VBA (Excel) and I think this relates to the video I'm not the hundred percent; but it looks the same:- University Student VBA Projects http://vbaprojects.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/excel-scrabble.html looks like there's an Excel file there you can download.

Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
there was a thread on this only recently.

might have been on UA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom