How would you approach this form? (1 Viewer)

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 03:35
But making the form appear exactly the way it is?
If you mean by "form", a printed form or report, then yes.

If the data is properly normalized, there probably my will be a lot less than 400 fields.

How the data is stored in the tables often does not look anything like is is display on forms and reports.

If is possible to make a data entry form that is not based on a normalized table structure and use it to enter data into a properly normalized structure. The downside it that it usually requires a lot of coding ( time = money).

What I find is hard for people when they first start using a relational database, especially if they are used to spreadsheets, is to change their thinking about how to data entry and not think like a "spreadhseet". With a spreadsheet, you tend to entry the data the way you want it to print. That is not normally true with a relational database.

dreamdelerium

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:35
just a bit of advice, too. i had to do a similar thing but didnt realize that there is a limit to the number of controls per form (i think its 250 but could be wrong and remember this counts lables,lines, as well as textboxes, etc)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
just a bit of advice, too. i had to do a similar thing but didnt realize that there is a limit to the number of controls per form (i think its 250 but could be wrong and remember this counts lables,lines, as well as textboxes, etc)

That would actually be:
Access Help File under Access Specifications said:
Number of controls and sections you can add over the lifetime of the form or report - 754
And that is for 2003 and 2007.

HiTechCoach

Local time
I would use a temp table where each row is a record and load all the data into the temp from the actually properly normalized tables. This way you can use a sub form in continuous mode.

Once the data entry is done, I would have a a save button to run code to place the data back into the normalized tables.

yepwingtim

Registered User.
Local time
u mean make
e1 e2 e3 e4 e5 e6 e7 e8 e9... etc in a table?
a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 a8 a9... etc in another table?
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer

Last edited:

HiTechCoach

Local time
One table.

Field 0: Sort Order
Field 1: Purpose Assessment Desc (a value from the first column in your example)
Field 2: CDay1
Field 3: CDay2
Field 4: CDay3
Field 5: CDay4
Field 6: CDay5
Field 7: CDay6

Field 34: CDay33

You would have a separate record for item (row in the example) that is identified by the value in the first field.

yepwingtim

Registered User.
Local time
Last edited:

jwhite

Software Developer
Local time
Today, 04:35
HiTech was suggesting that, in your Temp Table, include a field [SortOrder] which would be numbered in the Order that your rows are currently displayed. I'm thinking you would have a table named "tblCycleRecordOrder" with fields CROrderID (PK AutoNumber), SortOrder, Identifier. Identifier would be the names in Column 1. Then join this table to your output query and have ORDER BY SortOrder.

Your sample database illustrates that you are treating MS Access (A Relational Database) as an Excel Spreadsheet. This is not how you would do it, and you would not have 'combo boxes' built directly in tables -- just raw data in tables.

As a start, I can imagine the following possible tables (not complete):

tblPeople
tblAddresses
tblPatients
tblPatientContacts
tblDiagnosisTypes
tblPatientDiagnoses
tblPatientVisits
tblVisitTypes
tblHospitals
tblDoctors
tblVisitPurposes
tblVisitAssessments

Just off the top of my head... Not in the Medical field, so more tables probably necessary for the rows after the Assessments. If this is your first attempt (?), I would suggest reading up on Database Normalization (search here or on Google) for tips on creating a Normlized Database Design. With the proper design, you can manipulate the data any way you wish. I would recommend trying to put something together, then when you have questions, make a post in the Tables/Relationships/Design Forum stating what your purpose is, any special requirements, and then provide your tables as you have them, such as:

tblDiagnosisTypes
----------------
DiagnosisTypeID, AutoNumber, PK
DiagnosisCode, Text
Description, Text (or Memo if needed)

tblPatientDiagnoses
---------------------
PatientDiagnosisID, AutoNumber, PK
PatientVisitID, Number, FK
DiagnosisTypeID, Number, FK

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:35
assuming you dont want to interact with this, and its there for information, then i would open a pre-formatted excel template, and populate the excel template with the appropriate data.

if you have a query with all the data, then it only takes a few secs to populate the spreadsheet

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom