html help plz (1 Viewer)

ShwnJb

Local time
Yesterday, 23:10
hi

i am new to web design and want to learn it , i know corel draw, adobe photoshop and some other designing tools but i am zero to HTML, i want to learn html can anybody tell me how to and where to learn html easily...

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:10
The most important aspect is to understand Cascading Style Sheets. Basically this formats each page and is generally held in WebSite/Include/. Then look around the web for html pages and View Source to get idea how these pages are constructed.

Get a html and CSS book to help as well as the before mentioned W3C schools.

Simon

polardhanry

Local time
There are so many website providing on-line learning HTML.With that you should also learn CSS(Cascading Style Sheet).So that easily make the website pages.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Today, 17:10
here is something i recently discovered. i haven't tested it yet, as it is not compatible with the scripting tool i'm using currently, but looks interesting: zen coding -it's like a shorthand for HTML/CSS... i.e., you type just a few characters and out pop a fully indented properly structured code. plugins currently exist for programs such as Notepad++, among others.

i agree with the others, you need to check out w3c schools and also the w3c standards documentation.

I learn a lot from the "SAMS Teach yourself HTML in 21 days" book, though admittedly this was some time ago (before XML, flash etc started infusing the web) - i think the newest edition is 'webpublishing with html and xml', or something. they also have editions such as 'css in 10 minutes'... they're worth checking out.

other points to consider are accessibility - while there might not be too many blind people accessing YOUR website, these guides actually make you think and use HTML and CSS in a much more appropriate and elegant way. many countries also have laws regarding accessibility for commercial websites. there is much accessible help on the web for accessibility.

If you're big on design (you mentioned two image manipulation programs) then you may enjoy the artistic flexibility that flash can offer, though keep in mind accessibility is harder to implement in flash than it is in html. though nothing beats the elegance and simplicity of a well-scripted, crisp and clean html/css site.

you also have to keep in mind different compliance of BROWSERS to scripting standards, and that your code may look different in IE to FF to Opera to Safari to Google Chrome, etc... the trick is to make them look as alike, yet still pretty and functional. this is where flash may have an advantage.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:10
Here is a real cheat!

Find a site you like and and look at Right click and View Source - to see how it is done

Save As WebPage Html and you will find the css file under a directory using the page name.

w3cschools.com is a great resource.

Strict document types is preferrable to Transitional i.e. don't use Tables or deprecated tags divs are preferred. Divs handle disparate shapes but tables are rigid. Use style sheets.

Strict document types should be more compliant across browsers, although interpretations do vary a little between browsers.

If you are starting, before you consider using Flash html5 is coming and Apple and Adobe seem to at odds over IPhone applets using Flash.

Here is a site that eventually breaks up but it will resize to whatever screen resolution. All navigational links to the right are text for accessibility.

http://www.trevorsutton.com/

Simon

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Viewing the source will not do much good for the sites we design where I work. We use ColdFusion and most everything is hidden on the server.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Viewing the source will not do much good for the sites we design where I work. We use ColdFusion and most everything is hidden on the server.

not to mention the site might be pretty but scripted wrong. BUT it's a good start, and about 99.99% of website won't be ecnrypted/hidden - and most that are available will bear some resemblance to some good scripting.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 02:10
not to mention the site might be pretty but scripted wrong. BUT it's a good start, and about 99.99% of website won't be ecnrypted/hidden - and most that are available will bear some resemblance to some good scripting.

Very true. I first started learning this way. ;)

zaynahblaze

Local time
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
body
{
background-color:#b0c4de;
}
</style>
</head>

<body>

<h1>My CSS web page!</h1>
<p>Hello world.</p>

</body>
</html>

jaychivo

Local time
I recommend you go to w3schools.com and install Firebug in your Firefox. Just Google "How to use Firebug" for more detailed information.:)

jack9

Banned
Local time
Search Google for html tutorials it will give you different site that can help you learn about html. I also learn a lot from this Google tutorials W3schools.com is cool in this site I learn html codes that are not familiar with me and it helps me a lot.

Little_Anj

Registered User.
Local time
Just stumbled upon this thread, if anyone is looking here and is still interested....

I had a play around with html & css and a touch of java a few years back. One of my favorite websites to understand what to do with your html to make it well, look like a website is the css zen garden http://www.csszengarden.com/
It really is work a look! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom