hwo to input multiple records from one form entry (1 Viewer)

arrow2018

Local time
Today, 02:42
Hello! So I work in a biology lab and am creating a database for all of our samples. I want to make a form that is easy for everyone to input new samples into a table (the tables will eventually get pretty big). A lot of times we don't have all of the details for the samples, so like we will get 100 samples and the information is almost all repetitive but I still need to keep track of how many and be able to add in more details if we get it. I have pretty much no coding background and am trying to figure out how to code so that I can open up the form, input the information, and say to input x many records with this information (if I could get it to also number the samples that would be great but Im not even close to that yet lol). Please help me figure out how to make this work for me in Access!!!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:42
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

When you said that the "information is almost all repetitive," does that mean the repeated data will not change for all the records? If so, then you don't need to store them repeatedly for each record.

arrow2018

Local time
Yeah if it was all the same I would just make one record, but for example we recently got 50 samples and all we know is that they smoke, they are labeled BA1-50, and we got 3 mL for each. I don't want to have to go input that same info 50 different times but I do need to be able to mark off which samples I used for experiments later on so I do need them all as different records (if that makes sense?)

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
(if that makes sense?)

No, not in the least. We have no frame of reference for your organization, much less the specific data it generates.

First, write a paragraph explaining to a bunch of elementary children what it is your organization does. Limit your technical and database jargon and give us the big picture.

Second, provide us a sample of your database. Or at least a screenshot of its Relationship Tool.

Third, tell us specifically what table(s) and field(s) you will need want to make it easy to duplicate.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:42
As others have said, more info required ....

However, if you have a main form containing a subform then you might be able to use my subform record duplicator:-

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:42
@Uncle Gizmo , I can't tell but I think your example is relying on the autonumber as the sequence number. The OP might need a generated sequence number for the group in addition to the autonumber PK so that it always starts with 1 for a group.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 00:42
Yeah if it was all the same I would just make one record, but for example we recently got 50 samples and all we know is that they smoke, they are labeled BA1-50, and we got 3 mL for each. I don't want to have to go input that same info 50 different times but I do need to be able to mark off which samples I used for experiments later on so I do need them all as different records (if that makes sense?)
Do you have to account for each sample individually? Or in a batch? If you must account for each sample, then, yes, you'll have to create one record for each. If not, then, it's a different structure. As noted, once you've presented the entire business case, more precise suggestions are possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom