I believe Slavery was an Evolutionary Step... (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 19:45
I think you missed the point.
What I wanted to tell is to give people the benefit of the doubt before actually warning and giving advice.

It is possible that @ColinEssex didn't know the true facts or whatever. And you can explain why or what.
'Be careful what you post on a public forum.' So because of that, he isn't allowed to give arguments on the subject ?
@ColinEssex my apologies for giving advice and asking to check if what you're going to post is correct or not.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 11:45
@ColinEssex my apologies for giving advice and asking to check if what you're going to post is correct or not.
Look, I read the article in a magazine in a doctors waiting room maybe 3 or 4 years ago, it's a throwaway article just to pass the half hour or more wait to see a doctor, personally I couldn't care less what Japanese or Chinese prostitutes get up to, you seem to be the expert.
Also, over the 22 odd years I've been posting here, I've had countless warnings and been banned several times, your warning is tame but add it to the list. If I or anyone here checked up on every time they posted it would mean all day checking, then how do you know what's true? If I wanted to check on Japanese or Chinese hookers I would have to visit quite a few to obtain a fair selection, hmmmmm.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:45
In order to prevent this discussion from spiraling out of control, I am going to close it temporarily pending resolution of a complaint. If/when the complaint is resolved, it might become possible to re-open the thread.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
More on the origins of slavery:-

I must say, he explains it very well.

Many factors, including the prevailiing culture at the time sets the tone for what people believe. For example, what religious beliefs you have are largely determined by where you were born. If you live in Pakistan, it is very unlikely you would be a Christian today. So here is an example of Location => Belief.

Code:
If Location=Pakistan Then Belief=Islam
Else Belief=Christian
End If

To say you would have acted differently if you were born into a different era is akin to saying you would have invented the wheel back in the day since it was "obvious". But looking back makes everything seem obvious.

These criticisms of previous generations are like a form of self-aggrandisement. Sanctimonious takes on people from another time is pure narcissism.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
These criticisms of previous generations are like a form of self-aggrandisement. Sanctimonious takes on people from another time is pure narcissism.

Spot on!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
you would have invented the wheel

Regarding the idea that a wheel was a simple and obvious invention.

I liken it to looking at a steam engine, and seeing a quaint looking historic item.

You also see pictures of the men of the day standing around looking at a steam engine.

These men are not casual observers, they are the same calibre as the people of today who admire the Musk starship, which will be able to land and be reused.

I'm sure there were people who looked at the invention of the wheel and said that I'll never work!

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 03:45
I must say, he explains it very well.

Many factors, including the prevailiing culture at the time sets the tone for what people believe. For example, what religious beliefs you have are largely determined by where you were born. If you live in Pakistan, it is very unlikely you would be a Christian today. So here is an example of Location => Belief.

Code:
If Location=Pakistan Then Belief=Islam
Else Belief=Christian
End If
To say you would have acted differently if you were born into a different era is akin to saying you would have invented the wheel back in the day since it was "obvious". But looking back makes everything seem obvious.

I must suggest a few additional ElseIfs in there....

Code:
If Location=Pakistan Then
    Belief=Islam
ElseIf Location = WesternEurope  Or Location = SouthAmerica Or Location = NorthAmerica Then
     Belief=Christian
ElseIf Location = SouthEastAsia Then
     Belief = Buddhist
ElseIf Location = India Then
     Belief = Hindu
Else
     Belief = Something Else
End If

And of course, there are variations within all of those. Real life is a lot less disciplined than coding.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:45
I must suggest a few additional ElseIfs in there....

[...]

And of course, there are variations within all of those. Real life is a lot less disciplined than coding.
That is imo not really true.
Yes, there are a lot of variations, but they are still based on where you are born.
Our brain is like machine learning. Any input at early stages can have a great impact later.

If you tell a baby from the moment that it is born that red is called 'green', the baby will learn that and other people will call him stupid or dyslectic or is autistic. But for that child, it is reality. So who is correct ? what is right and what not ?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
That is imo not really true.
Yes, there are a lot of variations, but they are still based on where you are born.
Our brain is like machine learning. Any input at early stages can have a great impact later.

If you tell a baby from the moment that it is born that red is called 'green', the baby will learn that and other people will call him stupid or dyslectic or is autistic. But for that child, it is reality. So who is correct ? what is right and what not ?
Based on where you were born? Seriously? That kind of over generalization is what leads to stereotyping and the consequences of that.

I know, directly or indirectly, Christians who were born in Japan and Korea and China. I know, directly or indirectly, Muslims born in the U.S. and Canada. And on and on it goes. Trying to tie birth place to religion is a lazy way to avoid dealing with the realities of human existence and flexibility.

Your argument about colors actually proves my point. "If you tell a baby...." That's the parents and extended family influencing the child, not the ground they learn to walk on. PEOPLE determine philosophies. While it is true that different beliefs predominate in different regions of the world, it is simply not true to claim that means everyone born in Caracas is destined to be Catholic. It's not that simple.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:45
Based on where you were born? Seriously? That kind of over generalization is what leads to stereotyping and the consequences of that.

I know, directly or indirectly, Christians who were born in Japan and Korea and China. I know, directly or indirectly, Muslims born in the U.S. and Canada. And on and on it goes. Trying to tie birth place to religion is a lazy way to avoid dealing with the realities of human existence and flexibility.

Your argument about colors actually proves my point. "If you tell a baby...." That's the parents and extended family influencing the child, not the ground they learn to walk on. PEOPLE determine philosophies. While it is true that different beliefs predominate in different regions of the world, it is simply not true to claim that means everyone born in Caracas is destined to be Catholic. It's not that simple.
My bad. That was what I mean by 'where you are born'.
If you where born in some indian family, or somewhere in japan, your choices will be different.
And maybe it is bad to lead to stereotyping, but that is the unlucky outcome. Belgium is also stereotyped as 'beer drinking people' and yes, most here drink beer. Does that mean it is bad ?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
As the code evolves, we add...

Code:
If God=False Then Belief=Atheist
Else Question="Which God is True?"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you tell a baby from the moment that it is born that red is called 'green', the baby will learn that and other people will call him stupid or dyslectic or is autistic.

Which leads to a discussion I had with a teacher who said that dyslexia was the result of kids seeing letters backwards. But the relevant point is that if the kid has never seen them forwards, then the argument vanishes. (Recent studies have determined that dyslexia is actually an auditory problem in that the dyslexic kids hear different pitches at different rates.)

I'll make a limited admission. When I was a kid, I was a bit of a racist because my dad was a staunch racist. But Mom persuaded me to not generalize so much. Then when I went to college and met a bunch of people from a bunch of different cultures, I recognized my father's flaws in full. He and I had a LOT of discussions about race afterwards. We also discussed the issues of gay vs. straight and we had a few political discussions. In that time, I learned to see other sides of issues, the ability to alternate my attention from one point to another. I began to see, to realize, the difference between nature and nurture. And I began to lose those ancient hatreds that propagate through nurture more than through nature. Yes, our saurian ancestors were territorial and drove off "strangers" as a survival tactic. But we CAN outgrow that. The trick in resolving any problem is to first recognize it.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
As the code evolves, we add...

Code:
If God=False Then Belief=Atheist
Else Question="Which God is True?"
Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jon

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:45
This is a podcast where Dan Carlin discusses slavery. The podcast is just over five (5) hours long; so find a comfy spot and appropriate refreshments. I'm about halfway through. The abbreviated basic take is that slavery was a ubiquitous worldwide human institution for thousands of years and was considered "normal" before it began to die-out. It was also considered a labor saving institution.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
considered "normal" before it began to die-out.
I haven't listened to that podcast yet Steve. It's interesting to note that it was considered normal, and then gradually died out. Dr Jordan Peterson pointed out something about the US Army which is absolutely amazing to me, something I didn't know this before. I understand that from the 1930s to the present day a certain percentage of recruits are not accepted, around 10%, due to their IQ being 82 or less. I understand that IQ is gradually increasing. This means, in the past there were a higher percentage with a lower IQ. Could this be the reason that slavery was ubiquitous worldwide? It was a way of utilising people that weren't cut out for anything else?

It's interesting to note that the Bible story of Moses, is the story of him leading the Israelites out of Egypt, out of slavery to the new country Israel... This begs the question why did Moses lead the Jews out of Egyptian slavery? Why did it take so long? Why didn't it happen before? You could ask a question who would allow themselves to be slaves? Bringing the IQ idea into to Moses, the Jews, the Israelites, I understand that at a significant proportion of geniuses come from a Jewish background due to the Jews having a higher average IQ than the general population. Was it an increase in IQ that drove the need to leave Egypt?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The story of Moses - as a story - can name any time period it wants, because fiction can do that. Israeli archaeologists have weighed in. They found absolutely no evidence that there were EVER any Hebrew slaves in Egypt. But as to why it took so long in the Bible? One of the common literary tricks is to make something last long enough to be so oppressive as to lose all hope before a miraculous solution appears.

As to IQ testing, I remember when I had to stand for the USA draft physical/mental exam, there was a young black fellow who was taking one of the multiple-choice written tests and he was going nowhere. I didn't want to pry but this fellow couldn't even write his own name. Reading the test questions was out of the question. Even if he had passed the test - and I don't recall that he did - he was not going to be able to do something that ever front-line soldier must do. He would be unable to maintain his gun in firing condition. I felt very sad for the young man because I knew life was going to deal him a really bad series of hands. But this is not someone you would want in combat. You want soldiers who can be effective for more than just a few minutes.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:45
I understand that at a significant proportion of geniuses come from a Jewish background due to the Jews having a higher average IQ than the general population.
IQ testing has long been considered to be culturally biased. The test was probably designed by Jews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom