IDrive (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 12:11
I am trying to get a handle on OneDrive, and some of what I googled seems ambiguous. I have never used it. I have IDrive. What are the advantage of using OneDrive over IDrive?

Am I correct, if IDrive is sync then everything is automatically uploaded? How secure is OneDrive?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:11
IDrive (in my opinion) is more of a backup system than One drive which is an active storage system.

I drive syncs copies of what you select on a schedule, whereas one drive allows you to edit the files "online" and keeps them there.
I think.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:11
I think you have the ability to sync and backup with OneDrive.

1608739316703.png
1608739370769.png

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
IDrive (in my opinion) is more of a backup system than One drive which is an active storage system.

I drive syncs copies of what you select on a schedule, whereas one drive allows you to edit the files "online" and keeps them there.
I think.
thanks

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 11:11
I think you have the ability to sync and backup with OneDrive.

View attachment 87714 View attachment 87715
Right. It's intended for select folders mostly and not a whole-PC backup, and doesn't do incremental backups as a proper backup service would do. Think of OneDrive on the PC like browsing Google Drive or your OneDrive online, only you're working with the files on your PC with an online sync which allows you to have multiple machines synced with the same files. It's great for the 5 GB free version that would cover most people's Documents while providing a compelling reason to activate a MS 365 subscription for the 1 TB of storage, Office apps, and more. Smart move by MSFT.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Right. It's intended for select folders mostly and not a whole-PC backup, and doesn't do incremental backups as a proper backup service would do. Think of OneDrive on the PC like browsing Google Drive or your OneDrive online, only you're working with the files on your PC with an online sync which allows you to have multiple machines synced with the same files. It's great for the 5 GB free version that would cover most people's Documents while providing a compelling reason to activate a MS 365 subscription for the 1 TB of storage, Office apps, and more. Smart move by MSFT.
Thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I used to use the automatic backup system provided by Google where it would backup my files automatically, at regular intervals to Google drive.

However I realised this was not a good policy as a cloud file would be overwritten by the latest PC version of the file.

Now you might think this is a good idea, but consider, if you have malware on your PC that encrypts all of your files! You don't notice, the backup system runs. Now have encrypted files that you cannot access, both on your PC and on the cloud drive.

What I do now is, every time I create a new folder on my PC, usually for Microsoft access files! I create a corresponding folder on my Google drive. Now in my PC folder, I create a link (shortcut) to that Google drive folder.

At regular intervals I click on that shortcut which opens Google drive to the correct folder. I click on "upload" and upload the latest files out of my PC folder to preserve them in the cloud.

If I am working on a complicated database I will also create a Google document in the cloud and create a shortcut to that in the PC folder. Whenever I want to make any notes, I make all my notes in the document on the cloud.

I also have a complete backup of my PC just the the working files like access and the like, on memory sticks and also the same memory sticks are stored in the Google cloud.

That reminds me, maybe it's time to make a complete PC backup again!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
My account has a flash drive hanging on his neck. He gets 20 to 30 calls a during tax season. He says he would be in big trouble if he lost those files.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I ripped most of my music in the days of dial up.
Insert CD, dialup and connect, get info, disconnect and rip.
That was for about 500 CDs.

I have no wish to do that again even with broadband.
So my music is in about 5 different places. Bit of a pain to keep all synced, but better than having to do it all again.
In the days of NT4, I used to backup to a SCSI tape drive. :)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I used the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) for many years until I retired last July. OneDrive and Google Drive were both used at our organization. I would work on Access apps from home and at work then sync them to my cloud folders.

If you are using these cloud syncing apps for business remember that your work email serves as your activation code. So if you retire or change jobs your organization will usually deactivate your work email. I backed up my google drive to a thumb drive before retiring but failed to backup my OneDrive folder. Once my business email was deactivated I had no access to my OneDrive cloud folder. Also the HUP program knows that my work email has been deactivated. If I wanted to continue to use the Microsoft suite it's now full price.

Be mindful of any cloud programs they can be a cruel mistress, if you make life changes.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 11:11
That reminds me, maybe it's time to make a complete PC backup again!
Me too; in fact I just had delivered an 8 TB IronWolf drive to replace my 11-year old workhorse 2 TB WD Green. I contemplated going 4 TB SSD but the value proposition just isn't there for backup drives.

I'm going to keep this drive disconnected from the system and will no longer keep my backups in my NAS. Never had any disasters but no reason to risk it. Lightning, malware, etc.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Be mindful of any cloud programs they can be a cruel mistress, if you make life changes.
For the first time in my Googling, Google finally drew the line with me last week. I could no longer receive Gmail because my storage quota was finally FULL. Under their new storage requirements...

Downloaded Drive for Desktop to play around in Windows Explorer, see if I could remove the requisite ~4GB of junk in order to again get below the 20 GB free limit, but I could not, so coughed up the $20/year for 100 GB.

I'll have to remember to keep it well paid up, though. I've always thought, if I passed away, I'd hate for my Google account to be wiped and my progeny unable to retrieve my entire digital life, which may be desired.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I may consider that - it's an area of knowledge that I have none, really

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom