I'm completely lost! (1 Viewer)

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:16
Database structure - it's not as easy as you make it look!

Good afternoon all,

Really struggling with my structure and have been looking at it for so long my head hurts so any advice would be great. (see attached)

Basically, I want a DB for keeping track of service / repair of electronic machines. Many of our customers also call us for tech support. There are a number of other items like purchases but once I have worked out one, I can then copy the methods.

Are my relationships even remotely correct?
I cannot get the calls log to work - loosly based on the sample a supplied with Access "contact managment".
:confused:
Any help / advise would be greatly received

Attachments

• myDB.zip
    35.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:16
Well you still have repeating groups in your Customer table (Phone, fax, Email).

Your CallDetails should be a subform Of Calls, not a subfomr of the main form. You should have a separate form to enter Calls, and use the form you have just to show calls for a customer.

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:16
Yes, I understand the repeating field and will correct (least of my worries at the mo). but thanks.

I very much like to see the all the information in one place on that main form using the tabs (very easy on the eye without pop up windows everywhere).

"You should have a separate form to enter Calls, and use the form you have just to show calls for a customer."

Is it possible to have the main form as unbound, using subforms on each tab?

I know this is a "Forms" question but do not want to double post.

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:16
I agree with having a form with all the info for REVIEW. But not necessarily for data entry. You want data entry to be simplified and clean. That's why I recommended that entering new Calls be separate. To enter followup actions, you can use the main foirm that you have, but you need to nest the subforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom