Import issue (1 Viewer)

Sam Summers

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:52
Hi,

I've been looking around for an answer to this one but haven't really found one.

I am importing data from an excel spreadsheet which is working fine but the primary key field i am not importing.
The last number was 1020 but when i imported the new data the next number is now 71765441 ?????
Where did that come from?
And can i prevent this or will it matter?

Many thanks in advance

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:52
If the prime key remains unique, it will not matter. However, if you intended this field to have meaning beyond simple uniqueness, it might make a difference. The bigger question is how it got that way.

There are many possible answers. Just remember that if you add a bunch of records AND THEN DELETE THEM, an autonumber field doesn't reset. It "remembers" the records you created and deleted and keeps the numbering consistent. So if there is any chance that this happened, at least you know why it happened.

As to leaving the numbers like that, it doesn't matter as long as you don't want to subsequently assign a meaning to the key.

Sam Summers

Registered User.
Local time
Cheers for that.
Hadn't deleted any records so still baffled as to how that happened.
But it wont affect the system.
I suppose i could delete the primary key field and then recreate it once all the main data is in?

Registered User.
Local time
Have you set or reset the autonumber from increment to random?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom