Inauguration (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:37
It's true, unfortunately, that some Christians look down their noses at others but they are missing the point I'm afraid. ;)

They look on it as an exclusive club. But sadly for those not in it, it's difficult to know what the correct criteria is to even try it out. Even if one does get ones foot in the door, you are made to feel like you have leprosy.

Col

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 15:37
They look on it as an exclusive club. But sadly for those not in it, it's difficult to know what the correct criteria is to even try it out.

That's the point. There are no "criteria". It's for everybody.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Now they show him attending parties instead of promising from a podium. Same dude, different crap...

I was wondering when the honeymoon was going to be over and people start to realize the world still sucks. :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
That's the point. There are no "criteria". It's for everybody.

If you think that there is no "criteria" or "pecking order" then you need to attend some churches I can point you to in the UK.
In the USA it may be different, but in the UK, the class structure is alive and well, especially in the church.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A couple of comments are in order.

First, Bill Clinton spoke English well enough that during the interviews about the Monica Lewinsky affairs, he once mused about "what is is" (i.e. what does "IS" really mean?)

Second, I wasn't sure I cared much about Obama because I voted for someone else. But in the last couple days, when he rescinded the restrictions on abortion clinic funding, he managed to piss off the Pope. In his first week in office! Given the way I feel about overly organized and overly self-righteous religions, anyone who takes only a week to piss off the Pope is OK in my book!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
A couple of comments are in order.

First, Bill Clinton spoke English well enough that during the interviews about the Monica Lewinsky affairs, he once mused about "what is is" (i.e. what does "IS" really mean?)
The advantages of attending Oxford university:)
Second, I wasn't sure I cared much about Obama because I voted for someone else. But in the last couple days, when he rescinded the restrictions on abortion clinic funding, he managed to piss off the Pope. In his first week in office! Given the way I feel about overly organized and overly self-righteous religions, anyone who takes only a week to piss off the Pope is OK in my book!
Can't argue with that

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
A few hours? That's pretty good. It usually just takes you a few minutes. ;)

It takes a few minutes for Yanks on this site, but a few hours for the US government - it depends how long it takes the BBC to get hold of it.

Col

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
It takes a few minutes for Yanks on this site, but a few hours for the US government - it depends how long it takes the BBC to get hold of it.

Col

Well, we're exceptionally good at our jobs. I'm glad you appreciate us. :)

ASherbuck

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:37
And we smell our own, apparently. Col we should make you an honorary American.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One thing I have noticed that probably doesn't make it to the BBC except in summary discussions: Mr. Obama has been busy issuing executive orders rescinding a lot of Mr. Bush's executive orders. There were so many that needed rescinding that it has taken him a while. Guantanamo-related orders have been prominent. Some others relate to a complete credibility review of all intelligence used since the 9/11 disaster. If I worked with the Justice Dept. or Homeland Security rather than the Defense Dept., I would be nervously looking over my shoulder right now.

I wish to make something else clear at this time. I often stand up for my country and will defend the right of the president to make decisions he thinks are necessary. Further, since I work (indirectly) for the U.S. Government, it is career-limiting to say bad things about the seated commander-in-chief. Having made the disclaimer, I find it strangely relieving that Mr. Bush is no longer C-in-C.

Colin, your problem with the USA probably was not really with the U.S. Government, but with some of the people who held the reins at the time. Have you never had the thought that your current Prime Minister or some other high official was off his bloomin' chump despite the lofty office he held?

Trust me, we know full well that election to office doesn't coincide with elevation to divinity. But we are accustomed to supporting the people in office, secure in the knowledge that term limits will solve the problem that a second-term re-election didn't correct. And besides, we have to hope that whoever is in office at any given time has at least some success in running the country. Otherwise we go nowhere at all.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Have you never had the thought that your current Prime Minister or some other high official was off his bloomin' chump despite the lofty office he held?
Yes, all the time, just like the previous idiot Bliar:mad:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Colin, your problem with the USA probably was not really with the U.S. Government, but with some of the people who held the reins at the time. Have you never had the thought that your current Prime Minister or some other high official was off his bloomin' chump despite the lofty office he held?

Obviously - I'm not that thick. However, it seems that when the USA (government) makes an international decision, many thousands of innocent people are killed as well as thousands of US military who go blindly into death with the forlorn thought that the USA is right. When in actual fact they very rarely are.

That is the problem with the USA - who voted them as "world peacekeeper"? It's just an arrogant attitude that is endemic in the US government.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
That is the problem with the USA - who voted them as "world peacekeeper"? It's just an arrogant attitude that is endemic in the US government.

Col

As it was in Britain when we were a world power.

Mind you we did do it better. :D

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
As it was in Britain when we were a world power.

As it was in Italy when the Romans did it - or the Spanish, or the Moguls, or the Greeks, or the Turks.

It's just that these days it's not PC to invade and kill innocent people, something which the Yanks have yet to learn.

What have the Americans ever done for us? Gave us cardboard food, joined in late in a war then charged us for their time which we only finished paying off last year.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
we have to hope that whoever is in office at any given time has at least some success in running the country. Otherwise we go nowhere at all.

Actually, you do go downhill rapidly - as you well know. Voting in a coffee coloured prez is a good move, but it'll take him all or most of his 4 years to undo the worldwide damage to the USA that Bush caused - if he's able to do it at all.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it'll take him all or most of his 4 years to undo the worldwide damage to the USA that Bush caused - if he's able to do it at all.

I'll settle for between 50% and 100% of undoing the damage. I'd be disappointed with less than 50%. But heck, any improvement is good.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'll settle for between 50% and 100% of undoing the damage. I'd be disappointed with less than 50%. But heck, any improvement is good.

Once he gets his nose in the trough and works out he can make a fortune handing out contracts to companies he's associated with I'm sure he'll be fine.

To be fair though he has signed the bill to close Guantanamo within a year. Are the USA taking in the current detainees as a way of appology for keeping them chained up without trial?

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom