Input of Work Time in Unbound Form (1 Viewer)

gringope24

Local time
Today, 04:59
Hello to All,
I am preparing database application which will be storing worktime of each employees.
In the form to add the worktime a prepare 2 options:
a) add single worktime to specific date (e.g. 5 hours on 02.08.2021)
b) add a series of worktime for range of data (e.g. user input 10 hours to devide it between dates 02-06.08.2021, then vba calculates that it will 5 days, so for each date it assing 10h/5days = 2 hours). Using recordset it will create new record for every date with separate Id.

Is it good idea to make this functionality in unbound form?
1627981142871.png

1627981172468.png

Attachments

• 1627981061155.png
    1627981061155.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 352

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:59
I don't often see a situation where an unbound form seems preferable but I would say this is one. Users don't need to see the record ID.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 10:59
it is best to enter "each" day for each time worked.

gringope24

Local time
Today, 04:59
it is best to enter "each" day for each time worked.
Agree, BUT... the essence of using database and generally digital technology means to me automation of boring activities. In this situation, if employee doesn't add regularly his worktime, then he has to fill the data around 20 times. Using a series option he is able to do it a lot faster.
Of course it requires from developer additional effort...;-)

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:59
You will have to have some kind of unbound functionality for the range so this is OK. I do not think I would do this in a single record view. As a user I would want to see my entries so I know what I am missing. If I was doing this it would be in a calendar view where you see the inputs logged directly on to a calendar. But that is only if you are a good coder, because although these are premade examples it would still require modifications.

If not my second choice would be an unbound main form and a bound sub form in tabular view. In the main form header I would select an Employee from an unbound combo. The subform would then show all the records for that employee in tabular form. (you could put a filter to show only the current month, year, week)
Subform in tabular view
Date, Project, Time worked.
Single entries can be done directly in the subform.

I would default the date to be the next day from the last entry (assume you do not work weekends, then if the last entry was a Friday the new record would show the date for following monday.) The project would default to the last project entered, but allow the user to pick another project if they are working multiple projects. The employeeID is created automatically from the subform link.

You could still have functionality to create a group of records by having that feature on the main form. Once created you would see the new records in the subform. Then they could have the option to edit the hours worked. In your example it would put 2 hours in each record, but maybe some dates they want 3 and some 1.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:59
Is it good idea to make this functionality in unbound form?
Personally, I would not find the functionality useful. As a consultant, I always have to track time spent. Three hours on taskA, a half hour on taskB, etc. It would be extremely unusual for me to assign 2 hours to taskC every day for the week.

So, I would use a bound form and spend my coding budget on the meat and potatoes of validation rather than something slick.

The other thing about time keeping is that it should be done contemporaneously for maximum accuracy so you wouldn't know how many hours you were going to work each day on something in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom