Solved Insert Edit date and time to a form (1 Viewer)

Zhang

Local time
Today, 07:38
hi,
I have a form for edit the records, I need to insert the edit date/time if any of the controls on a form changed.

any suggestion

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
You could maintain a field in your table DateEdited, and assign the associated form control a Now() value, in the form's BeforeUpdate event.

Zhang

Local time
You could maintain a field in your table DateEdited, and assign the associated form control a Now() value, in the form's BeforeUpdate event.
I have fields in the table for dateedited and edited by, but I need to catch the time if the data changed if in a main form or subform.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have fields in the table for dateedited and edited by, but I need to catch the time if the data changed if in a main form or subform.
Hi. As already suggested, using the BeforeUpdate event should work, but I use a data macro for something like that.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:38
It is the tables that your form and subform are bound to that get the update/edit info recorded.
As has been said, the BeforeUpdate event --or a data macro as DBG has just suggested, should do what you are asking.

Zhang

Local time
It is the tables that your form and subform are bound to that get the update/edit info recorded.
As has been said, the BeforeUpdate event --or a data macro as DBG has just suggested, should do what you are asking.
I used this lines in before update event
Code:
If Me.NewRecord = False Then
Me.Enteredby.Value = CMAID
Debug.Print CMAID
Me.DateEntered = Now
End If

but it doesn't work as expected, if i inserted the code on form load event it works but creates a new record
any suggestion

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:38
Shouldn't matter if it is a new record or not. And since code is in form BeforeUpdate event, form must be dirty otherwise the event would not trigger.

What do you mean by "doesn't work as expected"? What happens - error message, wrong result, nothing?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:38
I used this lines in before update event
Code:
If Me.NewRecord = False Then
Me.Enteredby.Value = CMAID
Debug.Print CMAID
Me.DateEntered = Now
End If

but it doesn't work as expected, if i inserted the code on form load event it works but creates a new record
any suggestion
You were advised to put the code in the form's BeforeUpdate event, and you put it in the form's Load event????? :confused::confused::confused:

This is what I have in some of my forms
Code:
Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
If Me.NewRecord Then
    Me.CreatedDate = Now()
    Me.CreatedBy = Environ("username")
Else
    Me.AmendedDate = Now()
    Me.AmendedBy = Environ("username")
End If
End Sub

Zhang

Local time
You were advised to put the code in the form's BeforeUpdate event, and you put it in the form's Load event????? :confused::confused::confused:

This is what I have in some of my forms
Code:
Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
If Me.NewRecord Then
    Me.CreatedDate = Now()
    Me.CreatedBy = Environ("username")
Else
    Me.AmendedDate = Now()
    Me.AmendedBy = Environ("username")
End If
End Sub
I put the the code on before update in the Edit form
and I put it in the form load event in the form of adding new records

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Why have 2 forms? Regardless, use BeforeUpdate event for both.

Zhang

Local time
Why have 2 forms? Regardless, use BeforeUpdate event for both.
When I use the code on BeforeUpdate event in the form for addition the timestamp doesn't updated till the form being dirty

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Right, form should be dirty as soon as user enters data to any control. If you use code when form loads then a record edit is initiated. If user changes mind and closes form, you still have a record created unless you have button and code for user to cancel without saving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom