iPad sucks for PC users (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 22:36
I'm just going on at you Vass... I have a scooter as well. The thing you have just goes way to fast for an old fart like me :p

I thought you did, but wasn't sure. No problems.

It is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month in my state. I know in my city, motorcycle fatalities and accident rates have been dropping pretty nicely the last few years. :)

KenHigg

Local time
How do you have a serious Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month and no helmet law?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 19:36
Whereas motorcyclists have been dropping here in Oregon at a high rate recently. :eek:

I still would like to get another one. My last one died on me and I couldn't afford to get it fixed. Here's a pic of my last one:

Attachments

• Bob'sSuzukiGS650_02-17-2002_5.jpg
    Bob'sSuzukiGS650_02-17-2002_5.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 443

KenHigg

Local time
I had a GS550. It was gold on black as well ... :) 1977'ish something???

configger

Local time
Today, 03:36
I don't intend to get the future's most expensive paper weight, least at that price you can get a decent camera plus a lens

Vassago

Local time
whereas you can't even take pictures with that!

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 21:36
I rather enjoy this graphic...

and this one...

Loved these pictures. I'm not an iSheep either, and don't understand the draw for these things. And couldn't they call it something besides iPad? I mean, come on! Steve Jobs could probably wrap a turd in a box and people would buy it for $500. :D

The funny thing is, I'm not really anti-Apple. I just hate the way they try to control everything--even what you do with your own device which you've paid money for. Oh well.

Vassago

Local time
I agree. I'm not anti-Apple, but I'm annoyed at the company for what they are trying to charge for some of these products that lack features that are basic in cheaper products. That and they have been going sue happy with companies over having similar ideas. News flash Apple, you can't copyright ideas, only designs!

KenHigg

Local time
I love the one we have - Small, very portable, very long battery life. Very stable os, no worry about bugs or viruses. I personally use it to read news papers, magazines and ebooks. Pick it up and it's on with no boot up wait. And I have taken it to work and on business trips to for note taking and sketching ideas. I think it's a fundamental shift in the way we'll experience technology for work and pleasure they way cell phones and internet changed things. And I'm glad to do my part to shift things away from the schizophrenic windows platform. Everytime we boot the pc it seems you never know if you'll get past the boot up, the virus checkers, etc. etc, etc. I sometimes avoid the net all together just to avoid those headaches... Kudos again to Jobs. :)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Wow, I haven't had a Windows boot problem in ages. And Windows 7 is pretty cool, although I don't have it yet but I've played with it on my mother-in-law's new PC that she bought. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that, if you are knowledgeable and careful about the sites you visit on the internet and you take care of your PC, you shouldn't have any problems. If you aren't careful and don't know how to take care of your PC, you'll end up having problems no matter what platform you're on.

If you are happy about paying more money for what is basically a lesser machine with a touch screen and a glossy UI, then more power to you. It's your money. :) In my opinion, it's not a serious computing tool. It's just a toy. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Vassago

Local time
It's not just your opinion lol.

As far as boot up times or boot up issues, my laptop hasn't let me down. I can put it in sleep mode and boot it back up in seconds. I can also run multiple things at once on it without running into problems (audio player, dvd burner, and surfing the net at the same time). Let's see you do that with your IPad...

And not everyone with a laptop has Windows. I dual boot Linux too. :D

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I've tinkered with Linux in the past and liked it, but right now the only computing device I have at home that's mine is my XP netbook. Also very portable and easy to use, I love it.

I also have my work laptop at home running Windows XP, but obviously I can't tinker around with that one and change operating systems. I'm hoping I can get another PC sometime soon running Windows 7, but I would love to have another PC or laptop that I could run Linux, probably Ubuntu, or else just have one that I dual boot. Haven't decided yet. My phone is an Android phone, by the way. :D

Vassago

Local time
I've tinkered with Linux in the past and liked it, but right now the only computing device I have at home that's mine is my XP netbook. Also very portable and easy to use, I love it.

I also have my work laptop at home running Windows XP, but obviously I can't tinker around with that one and change operating systems. I'm hoping I can get another PC sometime soon running Windows 7, but I would love to have another PC or laptop that I could run Linux, probably Ubuntu, or else just have one that I dual boot. Haven't decided yet. My phone is an Android phone, by the way. :D

You'd be surprised at how much faster windows 7 runs on my laptop than even XP ever did. Nothing beats the speed of Linux though, and Ubuntu is a good choice, especially since I'm an HTPC affectionaire. :cool:

I'm running Windows Mobile 7 on my phone and love it. Of course I've been flashing cooked roms onto my phone to get the newer features not offered ont he stock rom. The stock rom still runs 6.5. :mad:

KenHigg

Local time
Wow, I haven't had a Windows boot problem in ages. And Windows 7 is pretty cool, although I don't have it yet but I've played with it on my mother-in-law's new PC that she bought. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that, if you are knowledgeable and careful about the sites you visit on the internet and you take care of your PC, you shouldn't have any problems. If you aren't careful and don't know how to take care of your PC, you'll end up having problems no matter what platform you're on.

If you are happy about paying more money for what is basically a lesser machine with a touch screen and a glossy UI, then more power to you. It's your money. :) In my opinion, it's not a serious computing tool. It's just a toy. But that's just my opinion. ;)

I think you're still missing the point. If somebody out there is touting it as a 'Serious computing tool' I've missed it. And I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just that it does a handful of things really well IMHO. And when you couple these together it's worth the money. Like the battery life thing. If I want to use my laptop in a remote location to do something simple like getting on the net I have to check and see if there is enough battery life or will I have to plug it in. Usually I don't even want to worry about the battery and just plug it in. That doesn't sound like much until you find yourself constantly saying nah, I don't feel like dragging it all out. Funny how it even get's compared to a laptop...

Last edited:

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
I think you're still missing the point. If somebody out there is touting it as a 'Serious computing tool' I've missed it. And I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just that it does a handful of things really well IMHO. And when you couple these together it's worth the money. Like the battery life thing. If I want to use my laptop in a remote location to do something simple like getting on the net I have to check and see if there is enough battery life or will I have to plug it in. Usually I don't even want to worry about the battery and just plug it in. That doesn't sound like much until you find yourself constantly saying nah, I don't feel like dragging it all out. Funny how it even get's compared to a laptops...

I tend to think of this as more of a "better than a kindle" type deal.... rather than "less than a laptop" type thing.

Vassago

Local time
I think you're still missing the point. If somebody out there is touting it as a 'Serious computing tool' I've missed it. And I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just that it does a handful of things really well IMHO. And when you couple these together it's worth the money. Like the battery life thing. If I want to use my laptop in a remote location to do something simple like getting on the net I have to check and see if there is enough battery life or will I have to plug it in. Usually I don't even want to worry about the battery and just plug it in. That doesn't sound like much until you find yourself constantly saying nah, I don't feel like dragging it all out. Funny how it even get's compared to a laptops...

I can do pretty much anything I need to do as you describe, and then some, on my phone even, including more than one thing at once if I desire, without pulling out my laptop or shelling out as much as the ipad costs. ;)

It even has a touchscreen lol.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
You'd be surprised at how much faster windows 7 runs on my laptop than even XP ever did. Nothing beats the speed of Linux though, and Ubuntu is a good choice, especially since I'm an HTPC affectionaire. :cool:

I would love to upgrade to Windows 7, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to. It's all about the $$$ right now. I still would like to have an Ubuntu installation, after reading up on the different distros that's the one that really struck a chord with me. The one I played with before was....let's see....Red Hat maybe? It's been a few years and it was for something I was looking at for work. I liked it though. I honestly haven't looked at the HTPC aspect. :)

I'm running Windows Mobile 7 on my phone and love it. Of course I've been flashing cooked roms onto my phone to get the newer features not offered ont he stock rom. The stock rom still runs 6.5. :mad:

My last phone was WM 6.5, and I never had any problems with it, but I was on AT&T and was looking to upgrade as my other phone was 2 years old. They didn't have any WM7 phones yet (in fact, I thought it wasn't "officially" supposed to be released until the end of the year sometime :confused: ) and their only Android offerings were locked down like the iPhone which totally defeats the purpose of an Android phone. So, we made the switch to Verizon and haven't had a dropped call since. :)

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
I can do pretty much anything I need to do as you describe, and then some, on my phone even, including more than one thing at once if I desire, without pulling out my laptop or shelling out as much as the ipad costs. ;)

It even has a touchscreen lol.

Maybe, but reading a book on it would suck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom