Is it possible to have C:\ and subfolders be a Trusted Location? (1 Viewer)

burma

Local time
Yesterday, 18:40
Anyone know if this is possible? Thx

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Yesterday, 18:40
What happens when you try it on a computer you use?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
This linked reference might help you.

Before I retired, I worked with the U.S. Navy and they were highly security-conscious about trust settings because of the implications of what you can do from trusted locations. (I'm avoiding "paranoid"...) It is possible depending on your environment to disallow that particular setting.

For a home computer or simple home network, domain policies will NOT be an issue so you should be able to get into the Trust Center to declare a trusted location. For a corporate environment, check with your IT Security folks before doing that.

The problem with declaring C:\ (the root folder of C drive) as "trusted" is that if you DO get hacked, that is a common-place target for viruses, worms, root-kits, trojans, etc. AND if you make it trusted, they can do a lot more damage. On the other hand, 2nd-level folders of C:\ should be no problem. Therefore, I would recommend NOT making C:\ trusted, but have no such recommendation for C:\some-other-name\ to be trusted.

NOTE also that IF it happens that you have external drives mapped onto your system - such as a USB 3.0-connected hard drive with a terabyte or two of storage - that you might have mapping issues regarding the precise folder name. So if you mapped, let's say, a Q: drive to one of these external USB ports, the name to be trusted might not be Q:\ (the drive-letter reference) but rather \\system-name\drive-designation\ (the URS reference).

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 10:40
The problem with declaring C:\ (the root folder of C drive) as "trusted" is that if you DO get hacked, that is a common-place target for viruses, worms, root-kits, trojans, etc. AND if you make it trusted, they can do a lot more damage.
Setting a location as trusted means Access trusts that location, not Windows. It means it's a per Application setting, not OS wide setting. When you set a folder as trusted in Access, even other Office applications doesn’t trust that location. It means you have to trust the same folder in Excel too to be able to run an Excel macro file (.xlsm)
While I accept your statement that it’s not safe to trust C drive, but it doesn’t mean because a folder is trusted in Access, Trojans, worms etc. can easily use that folder to do the harms. It’s just a normal folder as any other folder for external apps.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
If C:\ is trusted and your Access gets hacked, which would be at least slightly more common in C:\ than in other folders, you are on uncertain ground. Your hacked Access would still be trusted.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:40
maybe put it on Mapped drive and add it to Trusted location.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 10:40
If C:\ is trusted and your Access gets hacked, which would be at least slightly more common in C:\ than in other folders, you are on uncertain ground. Your hacked Access would still be trusted.
How an Access database can be hacked by a trojan when only Access trusts it, and OS doesn’t allow any other app touch it?
Again, trusted location in Access is limited to Microsoft Access, not any other app or the OS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom