Is it possible to learn House Building on our own? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 18:50
You know... Just by learning AutoCAD or the other Computer Aided Design Tools.

Note:
AutoCAD also has VBA in it.

It's my dream to build my Dream Home. All by myself. Atleast the Designing Process... Possible?

Please share your thoughts.

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

JLB - SA

Local time
Today, 15:20
Hi Prabhakaran

Yes, it is possible to design your Own House floorplan and elevations on AutoCAD. There is also Add on Software. This is however cost a lot of money. You will however need final plans for submission drawn by Registerd Technoligist Draughtsman or Achitech. So the plans you draw is not wasted. It will give the Architect or Technoligist Draughtsperson a good idea of your needs and make the scope of the job much easier.

Hope this help.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:20
I did that a few years ago - I use draftsight - around £80/year license and does everything you need for plans for planning permission, building control and the builders.

steep learning curve and you will need to get an A3 or A2 printer

JLB - SA

Local time
Today, 15:20
In our country (South Africa) printing cartridges are very expensive and only businesspeople can afford it. We have multiple small businesses doing printing at fair prices. Unfortunately, with CADD drawings you at some point need reverence prints. Tough decision to by a printer.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
I asked the same question on the GPTChat. I advised me to read the following Book:
"How to build a House: A Complete Guide" By Michael W. Litchfield. But I am able to locate that book. Was that book banned?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:20
Of course knowing all the local building codes could be a challenge also.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Depends on where you are I guess. In the uk we have building regulations easily found on line and the local building regs enforcement can be helpful.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:20
In rural areas, you can build your own house and maybe get away with it. In the USA, though, most political subdivisions have a requirement to have a licensed architect review and approve the plans, after which you would need a licensed carpenter, licensed plumber, and licensed electrician overseeing the various parts of the work.

As a matter of fact, two years ago our back-door neighbor moved out after leasing a house for a few years. The out-of-state owner started in with massive renovations and promptly got shut down with huge fluorescent orange "Stop Work" orders stuck to the doors and windows - because they didn't have the properly licensed people required for a structural overhaul. As I recall, once the Stop Work order is up, someone has to go before a judge to demonstrate proper compliance.

Therefore, I applaud you in the idea of building your own home - but I advise you to be aware of the building codes and regulations in your area.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am sure it would bring immense pride, creating something that is an enduring legacy of your own thoughts.

Cotswold

Local time
Go through a few designs that appeal to you. Either online or in the car. When you see a house you like make a note of it and maybe a shortlist. There may well only a few designs that you like. Once you have that, look for the drawings which you can probably see online at the local authority. The plans will show you the dimensions and layout. The actual design will be the copyright of the architect so you cannot take it and use it. From that you can decide if it is OK or not. Most architect designed homes are a disgrace and you just wonder what sort of a place they live in. However, you may see an elevation you like on one and another on a different design. So do some mix and match with your own additions. We all know what houses we like to look at.

Once you are there with your general appearance, spend a lot of time weighing up just what rooms you want and how they all work together. If you want a computer room, design it as one. If you want a workshop design it in to the whole. Don’t think about adapting afterwards as you do when you buy an existing house. Spend a lot of time getting the inside right. If you are thinking of just one floor bear in mind that it isn’t double the cost for two floors. In fact spend a lot of time getting everything right. Once you have the inside, look at how the outside will work. Spend time on window design. Most architects, builders and double-glazing companies simply haven’t a clue on window design. Bad windows can ruin a decent house design. You only need to walk up and down some roads to see that. Don’t always go for windows that are all on the same level. If you see a design with all of the windows on the same level to an elevation look at moving one or more up or down, or to one side so they all aren’t consistent. Look at older houses, pre-war and even older. Many houses built over a hundred years ago by a builder who knew his job will often be better looking than something churned out by an architect with a degree today. It’s no coincidence that cars all look the same now, it’s because the car companies are using the same software. Don’t look at any houses that have been extended. They are rarely an improvement on the original and in reality invariably ruin the original design.

Understand that over the last 40 years the building trade has de-skilled. There has not been the transfer of knowledge and experience from older tradesmen that there used to be. Most of them today only know how to do one or two different things and they just do it over and over. They may do it well but their range is limited. In general the tradesmen aren’t innovative and cannot imagine. They cannot look at something and know what would be the best solution because they only know two or three alternatives. What I am saying is do not rely on the advice of a tradesman to help you with your design. As an example : I designed my back garden as I wanted it. I then asked for gardeners and “experts” to give me a price. Invariably they ignored my design and described how they would do it. They then came up with their own standard fit-all garden because they knew the cost of each section and all they had to do was to multiply their charge to suit larger or smaller areas. To do mine would need to work it all out from scratch, which they either couldn’t or wouldn’t. In the end I found someone who would do as a wanted.

When you have done all of that work. Go over it again and again, and again. Make sure everything is included and as you want it. This is because once you start work you have to avoid any extras whatsoever. Once you are given a price and agree the building costs any change however small will result in a huge extra charge. Even if you realise during building that to make a change would be a great improvement, forget it. You should have thought of it before. This is not complicated work, don't be kidded that it is. You can do it but bear in mind the guys doing the work will not be up to being able to understand Access. Doubtful if they could even understand If/Else/Endif, spell, or do mental arithmetic. They do however understand how to charge for extras. The builder relies on extras to pay for his omissions and mistakes during building. Get everything costed out, even the smallest items. Maybe get a quantity surveyor in, if you cannot be sure about working all of the costs out correctly? When you have all of it costed go over it until you are totally sure everything is covered. Then think about if there is any of the work that you can do for yourself? That will save a huge amount of money. And don't forget.....NO EXTRAS!

This is something that will and should consume nearly every waking moment until you get it right. Lastly prepare for aggravation and exasperation because it is all on the way to you in spades and totally unavoidable:)

Last edited:

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Go through a few designs that appeal to you. Either online or in the car. When you see a house you like make a note of it and maybe a shortlist. There may well only a few designs that you like. Once you have that, look for the drawings which you can probably see online at the local authority. The plans will show you the dimensions and layout. The actual design will be the copyright of the architect so you cannot take it and use it. From that you can decide if it is OK or not. Most architect designed homes are a disgrace and you just wonder what sort of a place they live in. However, you may see an elevation you like on one and another on a different design. So do some mix and match with your own additions. We all know what houses we like to look at.

Once you are there with your general appearance, spend a lot of time weighing up just what rooms you want and how they all work together. If you want a computer room, design it as one. If you want a workshop design it in to the whole. Don’t think about adapting afterwards as you do when you buy an existing house. Spend a lot of time getting the inside right. If you are thinking of just one floor bear in mind that it isn’t double the cost for two floors. In fact spend a lot of time getting everything right. Once you have the inside, look at how the outside will work. Spend time on window design. Most architects, builders and double-glazing companies simply haven’t a clue on window design. Bad windows can ruin a decent house design. You only need to walk up and down some roads to see that. Don’t always go for windows that are all on the same level. If you see a design with all of the windows on the same level to an elevation look at moving one or more up or down, or to one side so they all aren’t consistent. Look at older houses, pre-war and even older. Many houses built over a hundred years ago by a builder who knew his job will often be better looking than something churned out by an architect with a degree today. It’s no coincidence that cars all look the same now, it’s because the car companies are using the same software. Don’t look at any houses that have been extended. They are rarely an improvement on the original and in reality invariably ruin the original design.

Understand that over the last 40 years the building trade has de-skilled. There has not been the transfer of knowledge and experience from older tradesmen that there used to be. Most of them today only know how to do one or two different things and they just do it over and over. They may do it well but their range is limited. In general the tradesmen aren’t innovative and cannot imagine. They cannot look at something and know what would be the best solution because they only know two or three alternatives. What I am saying is do not rely on the advice of a tradesman to help you with your design. As an example : I designed my back garden as I wanted it. I then asked for gardeners and “experts” to give me a price. Invariably they ignored my design and described how they would do it. They then came up with their own standard fit-all garden because they knew the cost of each section and all they had to do was to multiply their charge to suit larger or smaller areas. To do mine would need to work it all out from scratch, which they either couldn’t or wouldn’t. In the end I found someone who would do as a wanted.

When you have done all of that work. Go over it again and again, and again. Make sure everything is included and as you want it. This is because once you start work you have to avoid any extras whatsoever. Once you are given a price and agree the building costs any change however small will result in a huge extra charge. Even if you realise during building that to make a change would be a great improvement, forget it. You should have thought of it before. This is not complicated work, don't be kidded that it is. You can do it but bear in mind the guys doing the work will not be up to being able to understand Access. Doubtful if they could even understand If/Else/Endif, spell, or do mental arithmetic. They do however understand how to charge for extras. The builder relies on extras to pay for his omissions and mistakes during building. Get everything costed out, even the smallest items. Maybe get a quantity surveyor in, if you cannot be sure about working all of the costs out correctly? When you have all of it costed go over it until you are totally sure everything is covered. Then think about if there is any of the work that you can do for yourself? That will save a huge amount of money. And don't forget.....NO EXTRAS!

This is something that will and should consume nearly every waking moment until you get it right. Lastly prepare for aggravation and exasperation because it is all on the way to you in spades and totally unavoidable:)
Hi Cots,
Thank you very much for your Detailed reply. Let me explain my requirements here and my primary and secondary objectives of this venture.
  1. I wanna learn AutoCAD as VBA is present over there.
  2. There is a Demand for persons having VBA Knowledge with AutoCAD in my State.
  3. I wanna learn AutoCAD from a very long time.
  4. We have two houses partialy built and leftover by my father.
  5. I wanna learn to bring those 2 houses inside my computer and construct in the best possible way virtually.
  6. The House in which I and my wife stays is very small and junked by various furnitures and Gadgets.
  7. I wanna Decorate it and having plans to put a Oven in one of the walls.
  8. And the list goes gaga...

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
I asked the same question on the GPTChat. I advised me to read the following Book:
"How to build a House: A Complete Guide" By Michael W. Litchfield. But I am able to locate that book. Was that book banned?
Has anyone found it online? Such a book really exists?

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 22:20
I wanna learn AutoCAD as VBA is present over there.
Not that I want to discourage you, but:
  1. Almost every Cad software can run vba or C# programs. It's not limited ot AutoCAD.
  2. The VBA used in these type of software, is used to run batch actions. Since you're not planning to use them as your profession, then I don't think there's any chance to use VBA during your education and usage ever.
  3. The dialect of VBA is completely different with what you know. Because you know how to write VBA in Access or Excel doesn't mean you can use it in a Cad Software.
The following is a vba to create a given spring. The only thing that may be clear for others, is Dim, Set, IF & For.
None of the objects, properties, methods and events is what you see in Ms Office
Code:
Public Function swmMain(swAppIn, partIn, featureIn)

Dim swPage As PropMgr
    swPage.Init swAppIn, partIn, featureIn, swCmdCreate, swAppIn.GetCurrentMacroPathName
    swPage.Show

Dim swModeler As Modeler
    Set swModeler = swAppIn.GetModeler
    Dim m_Spring As SldWorks.Spring
    Set m_Spring = swModeler.CreateSpring
    Dim featdata As Object
    Set featdata = featureIn.GetDefinition
    Dim Utility As New Utility
    Utility.Init swAppIn
    Dim sels, types, selmarks
    Dim skt_base_Sel As Object
    Dim skt_profile_sel As Object
    Dim skt_end_path As Object
    Dim skt_start_path As Object
    Call featdata.GetSelections(sels, types, selmarks)

' Get body from selected circular sketch
    Set skt_base_Sel = sels(0)
    Set skt_base_Sel = skt_base_Sel.GetSpecificFeature()
    Dim segs As Variant
    segs = skt_base_Sel.GetSketchSegments

Dim ArcCount As Long
    ArcCount = skt_base_Sel.GetArcCount()

m_Spring.BaseProfile = Utility.GetProfileBody(skt_base_Sel)
' Get body from selected profile
    Set skt_profile_sel = sels(1)
    Set skt_profile_sel = skt_profile_sel.GetSpecificFeature()
    m_Spring.SectionProfile = Utility.GetProfileBody(skt_profile_sel)
' Get spring parameters
    Dim Spring_Height As Double
    m_Spring.height = featdata.GetDoubleByName("Height")
    m_Spring.taperangle = featdata.GetDoubleByName("Angle")
    m_Spring.TaperOutward = featdata.GetIntegerByName("CHKtaperoutward")
    m_Spring.Tolerance = 0.0000001
    m_Spring.Clockwise = featdata.GetIntegerByName("CHKrighthand")
    m_Spring.ReverseDirection = featdata.GetIntegerByName("CHKdirection")
    m_Spring.GroundType = featdata.GetIntegerByName("CHKground")
    m_Spring.Pitch = featdata.GetDoubleByName("Pitch")
    m_Spring.Revolution = featdata.GetDoubleByName("Revolution")
    m_Spring.EndingEndType = featdata.GetIntegerByName("EndTypeE")
    m_Spring.StartingEndType = featdata.GetIntegerByName("EndTypeS")
    m_Spring.StartingEndLength = featdata.GetDoubleByName("StartLength")
    m_Spring.EndingEndLength = featdata.GetDoubleByName("EndLength")
    m_Spring.StartingRevolution = featdata.GetDoubleByName("StartRevolution")
    m_Spring.EndingRevolution = featdata.GetDoubleByName("EndRevolution")
    m_Spring.StartingPitch = featdata.GetDoubleByName("StartPitch")
    m_Spring.EndingPitch = featdata.GetDoubleByName("EndPitch")
    Dim params(0 To 2) As Double
    params(0) = featdata.GetDoubleByName("Secparam1")
    params(1) = featdata.GetDoubleByName("Secparam2")
    params(2) = featdata.GetDoubleByName("Secparam3")
    m_Spring.ProfileParameters = (params)
    m_Spring.DefineType = featdata.GetIntegerByName("DefineType")
    m_Spring.SpringType = featdata.GetIntegerByName("SpringType")
    m_Spring.ProfileType = featdata.GetIntegerByName("ProfileType")

' Get center point of profile sketch
    Dim SktPnt As SldWorks.SketchPoint
    Set SktPnt = sels(2)
    m_Spring.SectionProfileCenter = Utility.GetMathPointFromSketchPoint(SktPnt)

' Create spring
    Dim springBody As body2
    Set springBody = m_Spring.GetSpringBody

Set swmMain = springBody
End Function

Last edited:

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Yeah. I truly understand that without knowing the uses of the options/commands available visibly in the toolbar/Menu we cannot automate. But I want to throughly learn the AutoCAD without automation first. I want to raise myself to a level upto I can virtually Build a House inside the AutoCAD. I feel positive about that.

I am looking for this book:
"AutoCAD 2022 and AutoCAD LT 2022 Bible" by Ellen Finkelstein

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom