Is there a contemporary match for this Book? (1 Viewer)

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 16:02
So far as I know, nothing has replaced or augmented that book.

A google search will turn up multiple books on Access and SQL Server, although I can't imagine needing books for the 2000 versions. If you are asking about obtaining Access 2000, SQL Server 2000 or Windows 2000 software, I can't imagine doing that either unless you have to support a very old relational database application, very old.

But perhaps if we understood your goal, someone could offer specific suggestions.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:32
Expecting Replies... Pease consider and Kindly do the needful.

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 16:02
Expecting Replies... Pease consider and Kindly do the needful.

With Hope,
Prabhakaran
And, I have to admit that I was expecting you'd do the search directly, rather than depending on others to search on your behalf.

As I noted, there is very little chance of finding "tools" such as Access 2000, SQL Server 2000 or Windows 2000 these days, if that is indeed what you want to obtain. If you are simply looking for "books", the one you cited is still highly recommended.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 19:02

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Depending on what you're looking for, this post I just made might be helpful. Otherwise you'll need to tell us what you are trying to do and we'll offer suggestions.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:32
22 years old and still the best book ever written for creating Access applications. Some stuff is OBE, but 90% is still relevenat. You read this cover to cover and you will be an Access expert.
I want to transcend myself from Ms Access to MS SQL Server. I know it's late but "Better Late than Never". So is there a book on this contemporary period discussing everything in detail? You know... on both the sides., to make the transition smoother.

To make it short, what all are the things an Ms Access Developer should be knowing before entering to learn the SQL Server?
https://www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446
The above mentioned book does the same but with the very older versions on both the sides 😪

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:02

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I want to transcend myself from Ms Access to MS SQL Server.
This is like comparing Apples to Horses. The two applications do not do the same thing. Access is a RAD (rapid application development) tool that is used to create data-centric applications. It is not a RDBMS. SQL Server is a RDBMS and it's task is to hold and manipulate the data. People frequently confuse Access with Jet (.mdb) and ACE (.accdb) which ARE database engines but they are desktop engines not server based. They are used by Access to hold all the objects of an application so Access is 100% dependent on them for the application objects. However, data for your application can be hosted by any ODBC compliant RDBMS. SQL Server is most common since they are both MS products but I've used IBM's DB2, Oracle, Sybase, and a handful of lesser known options.

So when you say "transcend" yourself are you saying you want to leave Access as the FE tool or do you want to start using SQL Server to host the data for your Access applications?

If you are comfortable with Access SQL, you can muddle through with SQL Server SQL. The level Access uses is 1992 I think and is very basic. All RDBMS' have added lots of features since Access was developed although they still support the original basic level.

Take a look at the link I posted earlier and use that as a starting point. Install SQL Server express, which is fee, and download the SSMA tool to upsize the tables.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
I taught myself SQL Server recently, pretty quickly. Not an expert, but can do a lot. I used this as the start and went through the whole thing. It is very good.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I also recommend the W3Schools site which has a comprehensive tutorial on SQL.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:02
try to search in Archive.org.
before you can download the e-books, now they are only to be "borrowed".

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Among the others, my favourite Access books were
O'Reilly Access Cookbook
Alison Balter's Access Book
VBA Developer's Handbook
O'Reilly DAO Reference.

I haven't got them to hand and can't quote all the authors. IMO, a lot of the A2000 and especially A2003 ideas are still relevant. It's just the interface that changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom