Kiwi who used to be a Digital person (1 Viewer)

Svencanz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:35
Hi all,
In a past life I used to be a programmer (Assembler, Fortran, Pascal and a bit of Cobol) doing industrial automation and later office automation (sigh) as well as systems management in the DEC and VAX/VMS world.
These days I use computers mainly for music, using Cubase and Native Instruments products.
However, I have always had a liking for Access and I have been fiddling with it over the years. My legendary Access moment came when this business owner had hired me for general computer work... backstory is that on the first day, I wrote some Word macros that reduced the workload of his office staff by about 40 per cent. I don't know if they thought that was good or bad?
So anyway, the boss gave me a task to do. It involved selecting a subset of records from one set, somehow. Can't recall the details.
Went back to him after 10 minutes and he gawked at me; "What?"
"I've done it," I said.
He looked at me incredulously and said he'd have a "professional Access consultant" in there the week prior, and the geezer had said that what I had just done could not be done in Access..

That's my story and I am sticking to it,
Sven

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome Sven! One of my daughters lives in NZ, near Wellington. They love it there, just bought a house so I don't think they're leaving any time soon. I've visited a couple of times now and enjoyed it. Lovely country and nice people.

Svencanz

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Paul,
I worked in Wellington for about 10 years, then moved first to New Plymouth and Whakatane, where I am now. Getting more and more rural, and living at Ohope Beach.
Next week I am flying to Houston to catch up with Julia, my girlfriend. We're also going to New York. Having lived in a place without traffic lights for the last 12 years I am a tad worried about this. Will need to have a small bottle of Absolut in the pocket, me thinks :)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Wow, NZ and Houston, that's a long distance relationship!! Have a great trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom