Lcase (1 Viewer)

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:52
I have a query with a hyperlink field. I want to force lower case but when I do, it removes the hyperlink? What am I doing wrong?

History Link: LCase([Mlink3])

Ranman256

Local time
you didnt.
Lcase should not erase the data in the field: MLINK3

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
It did not erase the data, it makes it just text and not a hyperlink.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:52
Maybe you can accept the results as-is (but make sure it's on the Query side), then use the properties in a Form or Report to make it a hyperlink again.

The reason why this happens is because, as Microsoft documentation says, LCASE() function returns a string
Functions always officially return something. Have to pay attention to what that something is.

This is another one in the dozens of scenarios that prove you should not use creative datatypes (like Hyperlink) in a database - including in quasi-databases, like MS Access. Store it as plain text and worry about the fancy stuff when working with the presentation layer - forms, reports, etc.
Query your text field as LCASE, then fancify it later.

Don't use formatting concepts at the table level - ever!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you have used a hyperlink data type, you actually have two fields or possibly three. One for the user text. One for the actual link. And there might be a third. I never used the data type since it is incompatible with SQL Server.

Why do you care if the user types upper and lower characters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom